Z490 MPG Gaming PLUS
CPU
I7 10700k
Graphics
GTX 1070
Hi !

My config.plist is attached.
I'm on 10.15.7 with Imac20,2 SMBIOS

I had a problem, photoshop not wanting to use the igpu and just crash after launch. Same for Illustrator.
Also some websites who needed hardware acceleration just crashed the tab in Safari.
I don't know why this happened, as the 3D acceleration seems to "work". (I had transparent UI and all smoooooth MacOS animations, absolutely no glitches/artifacts...)

Then, I found that the crash problem was the device-ID in DeviceProperties
So I went to The framebuffer patching guide... But the "fix" I found came with another problem.

My REAL device id is 0x9BC5
I am now using 0x3E9B

Now, with 0x3E9B I can use Photoshop.
But I have graphic glitches on some apps. Like :
Capture d’écran 2020-10-02 à 19.49.48.png

Those glitches goes away after some seconds/minutes after the app is opened. (lol wtf ?)
90% of the time and apps, I don't have those glitches. So It seems to affect on specifics render tasks only.

I only have those glitches in Spotify, Photoshop "recent documents" preview and sometimes in the Finder, on pictures preview (with space bar). I also have it on Chrome on a lot of websites (maybe transparency ?), but those same websites are NOT affected in firefox or Safari.

As I said, if I use my real device-id, 0x9BC5 I have absolutely 0 glitches in the OS or apps.
But as Photoshop is not working anymore, it is useless.

I tried those device-ID of the framebuffer guide:
0x9BC8, 0x9BC5, 0x9BC4 > No glitches, photoshop crash
0x3E9B, 0x3EA5, 0x3EA6, 0x3E98 > Glitches, Photoshop is OK with igpu

If I understand, the ones starting with 9B are desktop igpu and 3E are mobile igpu ?
That's maybe why it is working with glitches as I have a desktop igpu and use a mobile device-id...

I also tried to change the framebuffer-id from 0x3E9B0007 (desktop) to 0x3E9B0009 (mobile).
I did not try to change the framebuffer-stolenmem value. As I don't know in what format is that number. But I tried to remove it : it works the same "glitchy" way.
I tried to change my SMBIOS (iMac19,1 - iMac19,2 - iMacPro - iMac20,1 - iMac20,2)

Ps : "about my mac" is not showing the igpu, neither is the device report.

Attachments

• config.plist
    16.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Hii,
I found a temporary "fix" to my glitches problem with igpu (HD630).
But I don't know how to fix it permanently.

The "fix" :
  1. I change BIOS igpu memory setting from 64mb to 32
  2. Then try to boot MacOS. It will crash and restart the computer. (don't know if this step is mandatory)
  3. Then I change again from 32 to 64mb
  4. And boot MacOS. It works, no more glitches !
But I have to do it every day after starting the computer...
No problem if I just restart the computer after the "fix", even 100 times a day. Strange, isn't it ?

I have a dual boot, maybe it is related to Windows, "corrupting" the igpu memory ?
Because I always reboot on Windows 10 after my daily work on MaCOS. I also have to boot on Windows 10 before MacOS every morning, to have the correct fan speeds and RGB colors in my computer case. (software not available on macOS). Then I do my "bios setting" thing.

As I think this is related to memory, I tried to play with framebuffer-stolenmem.
I have the same problem if I totally remove that setting from Opencore, or if I try different values.

Actually my framebuffer-stolenmem is set on 62mb (0000C003) but I tried with other advised values like 00009003 (around 50mb) or 00003001 (19mb)

Ps : The igpu is disabled in Windows device manager. Not used at all. I have a GTX 1070, which is fully disabled in MacOS.

Ps2 : On recovery mode, I have to unplug my 2 screens and replug only one to have a screen working. (or I'll just have two screens with glitches)
Ps3 : MacOS installer (I tried Big Sur) will just reboot after loading. I can see glitches (same as recovery) for some seconds, then it reboots

Last edited:
*edited*

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2020-10-13 à 15.08.16.png
    Capture d’écran 2020-10-13 à 15.08.16.png
    140 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Fixed.
I had to change the primary graphic card from PEG to ogpu in the BIOS.

MacOS do not seems to be smart enough to detect correctly the igpu model without that. :clap:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back