Contribute
Register

If app store only gives me the 19mb install file....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77x-UD5H
CPU
i7 3770
Graphics
GTX-670
The app store has repeatedly only downloaded the 19mb file and not the 5+gb file. I went to a friends place and tried on his genuine MacBook, it did the same thing 19mb. So how am supposed to get the 5+ gb file, walk into an Apple Store and shove a USB in and see if that works?

Update to 10.12.6 then you will get 5g+ app file. I’ve got it.

Ok, so where or how do I find 10.12.6? My current Hacken is running El Capitan, I'm not on it at the moment

Ok, so where or how do I find 10.12.6? My current Hacken is running El Capitan, I'm not on it at the moment

Blasted Edit button doesn't work.

Apple makes it difficult, to get older versions of the OS

This is what I did.
I launched the 19mb file, and let it download the necessary files.

Right click on the "Install macOS High Sierra" app
go to /Contents/
create a folder named "SharedSupport"
and dump the files there
they should be:
AppleDiagnostics.chunklist
ApplieDiagnostics.dmg
BaseSystem.chunklist
BaseSystem.dmg
brtool
ia.log
index.sproduct
InstallESD.dmg
InstallInfo.plist
MacOSXInstaller.choiceChanges
minstallconfig.xml
OSINstallAttr.plist

I was able to create a bootable USB with Unibeast doing this.

There is a tool out there called macOS High Sierra Patcher. This will NOT work. Unibeast will not show errors but when you go to boot you will not see any drives available to install High Sierra.

Thanks for the reply

I downloaded the HS Patcher, running Unibeast did exactly what you say it won't. However it appears to have vanished from my HD

So it is ok to launch the 19mb file, it showed up as 'Install macOS High Sierra app', but I deleted it. So when I launch it, more files will download, and they too will be labeled 'Install macOS High Sierra app'? Or does it just add more to the original 'Install macOS High Sierra app'?

I'm not trying to be difficult or sound stupid, but... I am a little nervous of mucking up my current ElCapitan install if I make a mistake

This is what I did.
I put a spare harddrive I had lying around into my computer. Any old hard drive will do. Make sure you format it.
I launched the Install macOS High Sierra app. When it asks which drive you want to install it on, I chose the new hard drive.

The app then went through the download process. Once it was done - canceled out of the app. On the hard drive I put in, all the files I mentioned above were sitting there.
That's when I went back to my apps folder - right clicked on the Install macOS High Sierra app, created a folder called "SharedSupport" in the Contents folder and copied the files from the added in hard drive to that folder.

Then I ran Unibeast as usual.

I had serious doubts that this would work; but I was out of options and it seemed logical enough to me. You can imagine my surprise when I booted up into clover and saw all the necessary drives show up for install.

Well I did the download like you said, looked inside the file that downloaded to the extra HD, however I found this

AppleDiagnostics.chunklist; is there
ApplieDiagnostics.dmg; is there
BaseSystem.chunklist; is there
BaseSystem.dmg; is there
brtool NOT THERE
ia.log NOT THERE
index.sproduct; is there
InstallESD.dmg; is there
InstallInfo.plist; is there
MacOSXInstaller.choiceChanges NOT THERE
minstallconfig.xml NOT THERE
OSINstallAttr.plist NOT THERE

However this was in there
OSX_10_13_IncompatibleAppList.pkg

???????

I am running unibeast to see if it will work as is

Well it did successfully create the boot usb. But it loads to over the half way of the Horizontal line then pinwheel stops for a few seconds, then spins one or twice, then freezes again, then repeats the cycle a few times then just sits there
I guess those missing files must be needed. Mavericks and ElCapitan were much less frustrating

My build is the same use for Elcapitan
Gigabyte Z87X-UDH3
Gigabyte GTX670
i7-3770
16 gb corsair 1600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back