Gigabyte X299 Designare
CPU
i9-7940X
Graphics
GTX 1060
Mac
  1. iMac
Hello all you knowledgable hacks :)

I've been a Mac user for a good 12 years or so. Grew up building PCs. With the current state of the Mac Pro I've decided it's time to try a hackintosh. The world of pro audio is very much invested in thunderbolt and many of us cheese grater MP guys have been left in the dark as in sure you know... The cost of a full upgrade (including thunderbolt PCIe bays etc..) is way too high for me right now....

I'm pretty resourceful, but I would like advice on the MB and processor. Obviously thunderbolt is a must! Is there a thunderbolt board with built in wifi/bt with at least four PCIe slots? Also I don't see many dual processor boards? My primary use is Logic X and want a reasonable amount of cores m available to me. I've been used to the dual 6core Mac with 24 threads; any suggestions on a near equivalent to this? Also be good to know if a faster cpu with less cores is a better solution for me.

Any professional music guys here let me know :D

Jack

Hello all you knowledgable hacks :)

I've been a Mac user for a good 12 years or so. Grew up building PCs. With the current state of the Mac Pro I've decided it's time to try a hackintosh. The world of pro audio is very much invested in thunderbolt and many of us cheese grater MP guys have been left in the dark as in sure you know... The cost of a full upgrade (including thunderbolt PCIe bays etc..) is way too high for me right now....

I'm pretty resourceful, but I would like advice on the MB and processor. Obviously thunderbolt is a must! Is there a thunderbolt board with built in wifi/bt with at least four PCIe slots? Also I don't see many dual processor boards? My primary use is Logic X and want a reasonable amount of cores m available to me. I've been used to the dual 6core Mac with 24 threads; any suggestions on a near equivalent to this? Also be good to know if a faster cpu with less cores is a better solution for me.

Any professional music guys here let me know :D

Jack

Been running hacks in my pro commercial studio for years. My needs are most likely not aligned to yours. I run full blown Pro Tools rigs with Native PCI cards and have no need for thunderbolt. I did build a machine for a friend with TB and it was hit and miss. Others on here have had better luck, but its slim pickens for a good MB with TB. There are a few. For my home machine (profile in signature), I stuck with USB 3 and FW..

good luck

-D

Does seem rather slim pickings!!

I run Tools also but natively... Only ever to export stems from!

Thanks for your input anyway. Do you have a cpu recommendation?

And FireWire 800 cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back