Contribute
Register

IDE as secondary internal drive on GA-P55M-UD2 setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z370-AORUS-Gaming-5
CPU
i7-8770K
Graphics
GTX 1080
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
So I've got the exact same setup as tonymac, with the exception of the graphics card I guess. Everything seems to be in total working condition, (except onboard sound, but I don't really care as I have an external audio interface that works perfectly).

But there is one thing I couldn't quite figure out. I have a 250 GB IDE drive lying around and I want to install it as a secondary internal drive/slave drive (if that even applies since my main drive is SATA).

I don't get how set this up though. The drive is on the second IDE connection of the ribbon cable and it clearly gets listed when I boot up the comp, but does just that. Lists it, pauses, then continues with the boot of chameleon and so on. The drive doesn't show up anywhere in Snow Leopard, and I don't particularly know my way around BIOS. I also have a jumper, but I don't know what I need to do with it, if anything.

If someone could give explicit instructions on how to do this, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,
Vasiliovich

Vasiliovich said:
So I've got the exact same setup as tonymac, with the exception of the graphics card I guess. Everything seems to be in total working condition, (except onboard sound, but I don't really care as I have an external audio interface that works perfectly).

But there is one thing I couldn't quite figure out. I have a 250 GB IDE drive lying around and I want to install it as a secondary internal drive/slave drive (if that even applies since my main drive is SATA).

I don't get how set this up though. The drive is on the second IDE connection of the ribbon cable and it clearly gets listed when I boot up the comp, but does just that. Lists it, pauses, then continues with the boot of chameleon and so on. The drive doesn't show up anywhere in Snow Leopard, and I don't particularly know my way around BIOS. I also have a jumper, but I don't know what I need to do with it, if anything.

If someone could give explicit instructions on how to do this, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,
Vasiliovich
Is the drive configured for Cable Select?

I think I just configured it to cable select. The jumper's on the middle two connectors (5 and 6), and the drive's on the slave connection of the cable.

It took longer to detect when I booted up, but still had the same end result.

EDIT: Pretty sure I made it clear that it still didn't work. What do I need to do now?

Um...bump?

I'd at least like an answer to whether this is even possible or not.

Vasiliovich said:
Um...bump?

Did you install JMicron36xATA from MultiBeast?

MacMan said:
Vasiliovich said:
Um...bump?

Did you install JMicron36xATA from MultiBeast?

Yeah- it's possible and works- like MacMan said- install JMicronATA, make sure the drive is set to cable select. I've had issues with the UD2 being picky with IDE cables- if you have an extra one, you might swap it out and test. Good luck!

Ok, great.

So what exactly do I need to do for the install? Do I select to install JMicron36xATA and that's it? Or are there any other things I need to check? And do I need my iBoot disc?

Thanks you two, I really appreciate this.

Vasiliovich said:
Ok, great.

So what exactly do I need to do for the install? Do I select to install JMicron36xATA and that's it? Or are there any other things I need to check? And do I need my iBoot disc?

Thanks you two, I really appreciate this.
Install JMicron36xATA and run System Utilities in MultiBeast, reboot and you're done.

Awesome, eveything seems to be working just fine.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back