5. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
  3. Xserve
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Well folks - this isn't necessarily a traditional mod as we've come to know here on the forums, but it does involve a computer and it does involve repurposing old hardware.

A while back, I came to own a 2006 Xserve - wonderful piece of hardware. It runs my home server, Time Machine, VPN, etc. - and when I first got it, I did quite a bit of research about Xserves and happened to stumble across what I thought was a clever idea. Someone, way back when, had repurposed an Xserve G5 as a coffee table. Ever since then, I've been keeping an eye out on the local Craigslist and eBay to see if this was doable. This week, I finally had a stroke of luck. An Xserve G5 Dual Processor - for parts or repair, with no top cover and no drive bays, probably a bad PSU. $61 shipped.

Hopefully, this thread will detail me building a coffee table around this piece of hardware. The original picture I came across was this -

img_0016.jpg

Though I will probably go with something more along the lines of this -

3587301377_35fb5e6abf_z.jpg

but with a clear cover.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The goal for this project - create a simple coffee table from this Xserve G5, complete with 4 legs, either metal or wood, and an acrylic or glass transparent top surface. The machine should be arriving in about a week, and I'll update from there. This is looking to be a "Winter Break" project for me, and hopefully it doesn't end up like my last couple projects where it got to the "good enough" stage and I stopped. :oops:

Thanks for the read - if you've got recommendations, I'd love to hear them.

-IC

IC, I keep looking for an update to this proposed project. I hope that you are going to proceed as you have my attention. I am really into new and unusual builds.

Good modding,
neil

IC, I keep looking for an update to this proposed project. I hope that you are going to proceed as you have my attention. I am really into new and unusual builds.

Good modding,
neil

Thanks for your encouragement, Neil.

The sale on the Xserve I was going to purchase fell through - I am carefully monitoring Ebay and my local Craigslist so that I can proceed. Hopefully I will have updates soon!

-IC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back