Contribute
Register

iCloud stuff working with installation guide instructions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97X UD7-TH
CPU
Intel I7-4790k
Graphics
Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 790oc
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

I'm about to strip the computer down and install the new parts for the wipe and install from El Capitan to Mojave.

Reading the current installation guide, it really doesn't mention using clover which -- I thought -- is how the machine got the serial number and all that registered so the icloud apps such as messaging, handoff, and all that would work.

Does the unibeast/multibeast method take care of all that now, or are there instructions I'm missing somewhere?

Wayne

Nothing? Really? I'm surprised because this forum used to be falling over with people willing to help newbies who have dumb questions...

Reading the current installation guide, it really doesn't mention using clover which -- I thought -- is how the machine got the serial number and all that registered so the icloud apps such as messaging, handoff, and all that would work.
Multibeast installs Clover Bootloader when you select that checkbox or the "Quickstart UEFI" option. If you would have looked closely at the selections in Multibeast it would be clearly evident.

Screen_Shot_8.jpg

Screen Shot 6.jpg

You have to generate and check your own unique serial numbers, no way that Clover does that for you. Clover Configurator is used. There is an iDiot's guide that shows step by step how to do this. Have a look.

Last edited:
this forum used to be falling over with people willing to help newbies who have dumb questions...
This forum now has people that expect you to actually try to search for information that is readily available before posting for help. It's a part of the site rules.

Please use the search function before creating a new topic. The question that you ask may have already been answered.

First, I sincerely appreciate the help. Like I've tried to say, I set this current system up about 5 years ago (still running El Capitan) but once it was running, I didn't want to mess with it because every time I did, it was a hassle to stabilize again.

That being said, no. I haven't read everything out there, because -- even with a search which I've done plenty of -- as a "re-newbie", there is simply too much to go through for an average guy. The "Installation Basics" forum for example looks like it hasn't been updated since 2013 so yeah, I'm a bit frustrated and terrified that I'm about to destroy a working system in the interest of upgrading...

So, while I get the sense of frustration on your part with someone literally asking for help, and I do appreciate the help, I'm just trying to build a machine and what was once a helpful, simple site now has 8-9 years of data on it and I'm finding it impossible to magically know everything or even find everything I need to make this work.

Have a great day...

Wayne

I'm just trying to build a machine and what was once a helpful, simple site now has 8-9 years of data on it and I'm finding it impossible to magically know everything or even find everything I need to make this work.
Everything is always changing in the hackintosh realm, just the way it is. Apple releases a new macOS version every year and increases security, drops support for hardware and programs. I have some older systems that still use Chimera bootloader and work perfectly. I don't have them on the latest macOS version but I'm fine with that. So if you can at least keep the drive with El Cap on it and install Mojave to a new SSD, with El Cap removed, you've always got that to go back to. A new 120 GB SSD can be bought for 20 dollars these days. A very small investment.

The only reason for the upgrade is that a lot of my software that I depend on, including my VPN and Drobo has moved on from supporting El Capitan... Yes, I could run the old software forever, but in the case of the VPN software, would feel much better if it were kept up-to-date. The Drobo will run until it dies, but again, if I can keep with the newer stuff, I'd be happier considering this is my only system.

Married guy. Don't have the play money I used to have as a single guy :)

To do this upgrade, I've already bought a 580 card, SSD and other things like an Apple TB3 > TB2 adapter. I'm just terrified that if I make the jump, something -- most terrifyingly my Drobo -- won't work at all.

All these instructions and small-print boxes in the software is written for guys who actually KNOW what UEFI is, and what "series" they're building, and what audio their motherboard supports. I simply don't, and I loathe being the idiot here, but I'm just overthinking things (I hope).

Wayne

All these instructions and small-print boxes in the software is written for guys who actually KNOW what UEFI is, and what "series" they're building, and what audio their motherboard supports.
There are two things you should read first. The four letter words guide and the CustoMac glossary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back