Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte: Z77x-ud5h
CPU
Intel i7 3770
Graphics
Intel HD 4000
Hey all. I first tried an istall with the tonymacx86 boot disc method, and that didn't work. So I tried multi-beast, which installed fine, and I booted from the boot-disc again and ran the 10.6.2 update (didn't reboot) and then ran multi-beast. After it finished, I rebooted and the machine would show the apple loading screen (the traditional one, not the boot-disc) and then the screen would darken and show the apple "you must restart this computer" screen. I restarted it, booted it back up, with the same results.

Any idea why this won't load from the hard drive?

Other question regarding the multi-beast install. After I install osx and boot from the boot cd again. Do I need to run PC EFI and all that jazz (as in the bootcd installation method) prior to running multi-beast? I didn't do that (that is to say, I only booted from the disc after installation and ran the combo update and multi-beast and rebooted)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

-Jon

You're getting the "You must restart your computer" error because of your graphics card. Apple removed support for 7xxx series nVidia cards in 10.6.2. The easiest thing to do is replace the nVidia extensions in /System/Library/Extensions with those from 10.6.1 (if you do a search on the forum, you should be able to find a post or two with them attached), and then run Disk Utilities from MultiBeast to rebuild caches/fix permissions. The alternative is to buy a newer nVidia card and replace your current one.

Ok I tried replacing the kexts from 10.6.1 and still the same thing. So I'm going to get a new graphics card. I know it's not on the HCL at the osx86project wiki, but I'm looking at either the PNY - NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 1GB GDDR3, or the PNY - NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT 1GB DDR2. (The reason I'm looking at PNY is because the store near me doesn't sell saphire or EVGA cards in the store. And my friend works there and I can get an awesome discount) But do you think either of these cards will work? Or should I hold out and order one on the HCL?

Thanks for the quick reply! But ok, I'll pick one of those up. I didn't know how much the manufacturer really played into the technology of the card. But if it works with NVenabler, I'm game. Plus, realistically having a nicer graphics card is never a bad idea. :)

Thanks again. I f-ing love this forum.

kid_idioteque said:
Thanks for the quick reply! But ok, I'll pick one of those up. I didn't know how much the manufacturer really played into the technology of the card. But if it works with NVenabler, I'm game. Plus, realistically having a nicer graphics card is never a bad idea. :)

Thanks again. I f-ing love this forum.

I've seen on rare occasions where the manufacturer mattered, but generally it doesn't make much difference. Glad you like the forum. :D

Just an update, I got a new graphics card from newegg, the EVGA 9800GT 1GB. And the machine runs like a purring kitten now. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back