Sapphire HD 6950
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys!

So here's my predicament. I have an old iBook G4 that belonged to a friends family. It was the older 800MHz model and encountered that fairly common error with a faulty chip. I had it working for a few months, but it has since died and the only fix is to replace the logic board. I'd like to resurrect it, mostly as a backup machine for note taking at college. My plan is to order a working logic board but more specifically, to order the "newer" 1.3GHz model.

So far as I can tell from researching and looking at internals, everything should work but I wanted to throw it out there and check first. Has anyone here done the same or something similar? Any wisdom you can share with me?

Forgive me, life got hectic and replying here rapidly got pushed to the back of my mind.

Thank you for mentioning ifixit. I checked there and found a very informative thread discussing the differences. As it stands, the logic board for a 1.3 will not work in the case of an 800mhz as the components and connectors have all been changed around. As it also turns out, the old iBook I had was not actually an 800mhz as I'd thought, but a 1.2... (feeling a bit noobish at the moment).

I've since ordered a working 1.2 board and placed it in the case to great success. The next step is I'm awaiting an extra stick of ram so that I can update the OS to Leopard.

Thanks for the replies guys, problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back