Contribute
Register

i7 Hack/Pro Tools 9 - Getting 6101 errors (CPU Overload)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 Motherboard
CPU
Intel Core i7-870 Lynnfield 2.93GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
Graphics
EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT 1GB Video Card
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new to the Hackintosh scene. I just build my first Hackintosh (core specs are in my sig) and I've got pretty much everything running GREAT (thanks to many hours spent reading these forums) except for Pro Tools 9 (which is a large part of why I wanted to build this computer). I know there's a few PT users on here so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here.

When I first installed PT, it wouldn't even open. I got all kinds of crazy errors, and finally did a couple of clean reinstalls of both the OS and PT and got things working. PT opens with no problem, but when I'm playing back sessions I keep getting the following error: "A CPU overload error occurred, if this happens try increasing the buffer size or removing some plug-ins -6101".

I've configured everything according to Avid's suggestions (besides the whole Hackintosh thing), I'm using a secondary hard drive for audio, lowered my core usage to 7 cores/85%, increased my h/w buffer size to 1024, running almost 0 plug-ins, and I still get the error. Any suggestions?

The interface I'm using is a Presonus Firepod (firewire interface) plugged directly into the fw400 port on my MB. I experience a lot of the same issue on my Macbook Pro, so I'm kind of curious if there my be something going on with the Firepod. Does anyone know of a way I can test this? Maybe some way to monitor for bottlenecks in the system that can help me pinpoint where this supposed "overload" is occurring?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Do you have another interface to test it with, maybe an "M' powered one? I was not aware that ProTools was working with anything but their "approved" interfaces...that could be an issue.

@heifetz77 - With Pro Tools 9 you can now use any Core Audio interface, so you're no longer limited to just Avid/Digidesign hardware. (YAAAAYYYY!!!!!) I do have an MBox Mini, but the last time I installed the driver PT quit working again. I'll give it another shot and update you.

@Khanaset - It's always "worked", I just keep getting the 6101 errors. I saw all those posts, but it seemed like they were all coming from Windows users. I did just find this though: http://bit.ly/lxnijD. Maybe it's more serious than I thought. As far as DAWs go, I've used several, I'm just the most comfortable with PT's UI. I do have an old copy of Logic 8 laying around. I'll try putting that on there and see if I get the same error. Thanks!

OK, so the final result is... PT+Firepod=Bad.

Installed Logic 8. Seems to work just fine with Firepod. Created new session, recorded 8 inputs for 10 minutes straight, no errors. Opened old, rather large, session, played back for 15 minutes, no errors.

Finally got MBox 2 Mini drivers working (had to try a couple times). Initially got a "DAE error 743" message which SEEMS to be a USB related error. I changed USB ports and restarted the computer and have been playing a session for about 15 minutes with no errors.

So it looks like, until I can get a new interface, I'm using the MBox 2 Mini to playback PT sessions and record 1-2 inputs in PT. If I need to record 3+ inputs, I'll be using Logic.

Thanks so much for your help Khanaset!

I remember having a similar error problem come up earlier in the year.
Its always good to use the kext utility to refresh or repair things.

Also, which version of PT9 you using? Since updating to 9.0.2, i've had ZERO errors on my hackintosh.
Worth a try?

maniac30au said:
I remember having a similar error problem come up earlier in the year.
Its always good to use the kext utility to refresh or repair things.

Also, which version of PT9 you using? Since updating to 9.0.2, i've had ZERO errors on my hackintosh.
Worth a try?

Actually I'm going to give this a try. I've been having some graphics freeze erros on 9.0 when I start adding plugins.. I know it's not my RAM bc I have 6GB of it.

Hi, I had the same problem...
At first, Pro Tools was working perfectly, and suddenly, CPU Overload Error.

I'm using an onboard sound device, so i can't test it with an external device.

I solved moving my entire project to desktop, because i was working on a Verbatim external USB hardrive.

So, i moved the entire project, kext utility, restart my hackintosh, and bouncing at this moment!!!

Hope it can be usefull to someone with the same error.

Pro Tools 9 is where avid really got anal about a few things. Despite opening PT to work with "any" audio interface, older digidesign equipment which has already had support dropped is still unsupported at best (some won't work at all).

That being said, 9.0.2/9.0.3 are pretty solid; I use 9.0.4 myself with a mbox 2 and have good performance.

RickydB said:
Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new to the Hackintosh scene. I just build my first Hackintosh (core specs are in my sig) and I've got pretty much everything running GREAT (thanks to many hours spent reading these forums) except for Pro Tools 9 (which is a large part of why I wanted to build this computer). I know there's a few PT users on here so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction here.

: "A CPU overload error occurred, if this happens try increasing the buffer size or removing some plug-ins -6101".

I've configured everything according to Avid's suggestions (besides the whole Hackintosh thing), I'm using a secondary hard drive for audio, lowered my core usage to 7 cores/85%, increased my h/w buffer size to 1024, running almost 0 plug-ins, and I still get the error. Any suggestions?

The interface I'm using is a Presonus Firepod (firewire interface) plugged directly into the fw400 port on my MB. I experience a lot of the same issue on my Macbook Pro, so I'm kind of curious if there my be something going on with the Firepod. Does anyone know of a way I can test this? Maybe some way to monitor for bottlenecks in the system that can help me pinpoint where this supposed "overload" is occurring?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I do have exactely same problem. Tried all the normal fixes (lower processors minus1, minus 2, minus 3...; increased buffer io to 1024, use a different yet internal HDD for audio. Have same mobo. Use RME Fireface 800. Has anyone found a working solution yet ? My main DAW is (and will remain) Sonar X1 under Windows, but ProShit is just to carry projects between studios). I use 9.0.6 on Mac OS X Snow leopard 10.6.8 - although Avid states that 10.6.8 is not ''qualified'' for HD native systems - I don't have HD native, so...

I'm also having issues with dae error 6101 on my Hackintosh and RME FF800. Any updates on the solution? Seems like I've tried everything by now. Nothing really seems to make the problem dissapear entierly.

One possibilty is that the onboard firewire interface is the culprit. I'm going to try with a separate PCI-Card tomorrow to eliminate this possiblity.

If this is a no-go I'm really interseted in hearing other solutions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back