Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey Guys,

I just received a i7-970, and I want to build a 100% working hackint0sh with the least amount of kexts and dsdt hacking as possible.

I want to get as much of a vanilla install as possible, although as the OSX MAC Pro's have chips, I haven't seen any with as much power as the i7-970. So on that basis I was wondering if any of you know if the i7-970 will be utilized properly or if a lot of it's preformance and amazingness would be blocked due to OSX's lack of capabilities.

If all checks out, what type of mobo would you suggest, ram etc?

Cheers
Insanity

I'm not sure if this is an answer to your question, but the i7 970 (and also the 980x) might be faster than the ones in the Mac Pro, but the Mac Pro has 2 6-core processors - the largest mac pro will smoke the 970.

I have the 970, and it's a real nice processor. It's in a Gigabyte x58a UD3R (The UD5 might be better if you plan on OC'ing) with 24gb ram.
It scores 8.5 in cinebench CPU test - which is a bit higher than my Mac Pro 2009 2 x 2.26 Quad core Xeon with 16gb ram.

I only needed Multibeast to install the processor and the mobo.

It's a good sign that I found your post here. I'm thinking of a x58a UD3R with an i7-950 and 24GB ram (6 x 4GB) and have been looking for advise on the memory modules for weeks. Which ram modules did you end up with?

for a friend, i recently built an i970 with an gigabyte x58-udr3 and it went very smooth, used an at5770 for graphics, and it all worked really well. so go ahead and built it! just make sure that you follow the guides that are out there as little things can mess you up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back