Contribute
Register

[i7-950] Safe OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
olaf001 said:
Thermal paste, well, maybe. Applied 80% and smeared it out.

You mean you used about 80% of it ?... :eek:

I estimate that the compound in the "small pouch" included with the Mugen-2 should be enough for about 20 applications...

The purpose of the thermal compound is to fill in small imperfections in the CPU and cooler surfaces, so an extremely thin layer is more than enough.

I usually apply a tiny drop (about the size of a small rice grain) on the center of the CPU, and spread it thinly (don't touch it with your bare hands, to avoid leaving "hand grease" - you can use a toothpick, or a tiny brush).

Good Luck,
Lnx2Mac

olaf001 said:
Vendetta said:
olaf001 said:
Idle is about 54c, stressed (Prime95) max 78c.
And that's running stock. :(

I'm really wondering what the hell is wrong in my setup. Cooling is Mugen II rev B, indeed.

Either it's not seated properly, your case fans are turned the wrong way, there are no case fans for exhaust, you applied the thermal paste incorrectly, or it is REALLY hot in your house.

Well, only option 1 seems possible. When mounting the Scythe the manual was talking about 4 rings that weren't delivered with my motherboard so I mounted them without it. But I can't imagine that makes the difference. I have two exhaust fans blowing outside and the fan of the Mugen is also blowing outside.

House temp: 25/26c.

You're not supposed to smear the thermal paste. At least, not according to Arctic Silver's website. It may vary for other pastes though, I suppose.

olaf001 said:
Well, only option 1 seems possible. When mounting the Scythe the manual was talking about 4 rings that weren't delivered with my motherboard so I mounted them without it. But I can't imagine that makes the difference. I have two exhaust fans blowing outside and the fan of the Mugen is also blowing outside.

House temp: 25/26c.

Actually, I see a few in just how you describe it. One, the thermal paste. Sounds to me like the people posting here are right and you used WAY too much. I know for a fact, I used WAY too much as well, but I still get 40's to 60's, where you are getting much worse than that using the same cooler. Too much thermal compound and the cooler can't function properly. The longer you use the computer like this, the more likely the CPU will soon be ruined. You want to get some new thermal paste (TIM) and redo your CPU, ASAP. :eek: DO NOT Overclock the processor like this, get it down to stock speeds until you can change everything.

I'd search on Google to find some videos showing how to remove the thermal compound.
Then find some videos showing how to install it correctly to achieve the best performance.
Remember, less, is more.

The other is your cooling fans. You want more fans blowing in than out. The idea is to create positive pressure of cooler air in the case so there is more cool air flowing over the surface area of the cooler before it heats up and exits from the case.

If you have 2x's as many fans constantly blowing hot internal air out, you're going to create negative pressure in the case and there won't be enough cool air coming in fast enough to go over the CPU cooler.

Think of it like a fish tank. With water constantly pouring in the top and a hole draining from the bottom. If the amount of water pouring from the top is greater than the water draining from the bottom, the fish will be fine and get a constant amount of new fresh water. But if the hole in the bottom is too big and the amount of water pouring in is too small, the tank will drain completely and fish will die. :eek:

You want to get a good balance of cool air coming in with just enough hot air coming out. So case design, the speed, direction and CFM of the fans you are using will all be factors in how efficient this process will be. You may have to experiment to get the best results. ;)

Idle temp is 41c, after it's been off and booted into OSX. And with the last update of iStat Pro I lost my CPU sensors, the joy...

I have two lower placed fans sucking air in and two fans blowing out, in the top area. Also, the PSU has a fan sucking and the GPU&CPU blowing(to the top).

Thanks for all the info!

Excellent. A step in the right direction. ;)

If you use the older iStat 2.0 you'll get your temp sensors back. Or you can use Hardware Monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back