Contribute
Register

i7-950 build - SSD worth it and will 9500gt video kill it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD3R Ver 2.0
CPU
Xeon L5520
Graphics
RX 580
Hello-

I have most of the guts of a new hack and am wondering if throwing an old video card in the mix will be an issue. I don't game or do video editing but would like to have flash performance not suck and don't want to slow down my whole rig if the video card might be a bottle neck. I'm mostly on the web, working in CS3, coding in eclipse, or futzing with Office 2010 PPTS and Docs.

Old stuff:
512Mb 9500GT???
cooler master CM690
various SATA drives

New stuff bought already:
i7-950
GA-X58A-UD3R LGA
OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600- 1.35V
XIGMATEK 600W 80 PLUS BRONZE Power Supply
XIGMATEK Dark Knight 120mm CPU Cooler

New stuff considering:
60 GB SSD boot drive. This will be my workstation as well as a home media server so I almost never reboot- 4 months current uptime on the p35 I'm replacing!! Is this going to be something I'll notice?
new video card. I'm checking out the following cards- will it make a big difference?
HIS Radeon HD 5770 1GB ~$100
GeForce GTS 450 ~$100
If it matters, is there a cheeper high compatibility non gaming card that I can save a few bucks on that performs well?

Thanks a ton in advance.

I would go with the 5770 vs the 9500, better video playback from the 5770.

Hello-

I already have a 512 meg 9500gt kicking around from my p35 build. I'm wondering if the 9500gt is so old/slow that it will be a bottleneck for daily tasks on my nice new i7 speedy rig.

My other main question is if it is worth putting an SSD in as my main OS drive if I never really shut my system down or even let is sleep for that matter. I feel very comfortable with all the other components.

on my system I use a 64gb for boot and applications, I have a 1TB drive for everything else, moved my download folder to it too. The 9500 will work and you can go with it to start and later if you feel you need to more graphic horse power upgrading is easy. the only bottleneck would be openGL apps and HD video.

Thanks donw35.

I think I'm going to keep my eyes open for deal on an SSD.
I was able to pick up an EVGA SuperClocked GT240 DDR5 512 MB for $32 After rebate so I jumped on it. The 9500GT will stay in my soon to be "kids computer" p35 system which keeps me from downgrading them to a 7200GT I keep around because it is plug an play on a Hacintosh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back