Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z97-A USB 3.1
CPU
i7 4790K
Graphics
RX 580
I've gone through 2 power supplies and before I take the motherboard and cpu back I wanted to make sure this is normal. The idle temps are around 30-39 degrees for all cores and yet it throttles down to x8.0 which is about 792 mhz. My question is, is this normal or is my motherboard or cpu damaged from the blown psu's. I bought a new case just in case it's the case shorting the psu.

I am checking this right after a restart so temps are a bit high. I am running the exact same CPU and I am getting a stable 4.0 GHz at 32 degrees. Just an FYI.

Make sure your PSU is Haswell (or newer) "Ready" or "Certified" as inexpensive PSUs are not designed for the low power draw at idle of the Intel Haswell, Broadwell and Skylake processors.

Have you implemented native Powermanagement? Attach config.

The first one was a rosewill 550 watt. Worked well for a while. Then bought an evga 500 watt. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1UH4RE3051

This is the second one now. That's 2 blown psu's in 3 weeks or less. Only thing I can think of at this point is a power switch short etc..
So I bought a new case.

I'll attach a config next.

Thanks

I should also mention these psu's were detected as blown after waking up from sleep. Fans would throttle erratically and then the system would power on and off, on and off until I pulled the plug and removed power. I also replaced the mobo a few weeks ago when I replaced the power supply. It was actually the first thing I swapped and didn't power on properly again until I replaced that psu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back