Contribute
Register

i7-4770 (non k) = 3.69 ghz rather than the advertised 3.9ghz turbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H
CPU
i7-4770
Graphics
GTX 770
i7-4770 (non k) = 3.69 ghz

I've recently built my first Hackintosh and everything so far works well. I have a minor concern regarding my cpu speed. Mind you, I've never built a computer before, so I'm quite the newbie.

I decided to go with the i7-4770 (non k) because I don't plan to over clock my cpu. However, I purchased it while it was advertised as a 3.4ghz cpu with 3.9 ghz turbo boost. My system profiler, however, currently displays my cpu at 3.69ghz. I've run geek bench, and it reads my cpu at 3.69ghz as well. And, I've downloaded a cpu monitor, which reads my first core at 3.69ghz constantly and the other seven cores at 3.39ghz.

Is this normal? Shouldn't the non k version turbo at 3.9ghz? If it should be running faster, how do I fix it?

The Hackintosh otherwise runs great. I just want to know if I can get a little more bang out of the cpu.

Components:

GA-Z87MX-D3H
i7 4770 (non k)
8gb gskill ram
nvidia gtx 660
mushkin 120gb ssd

I'm having the same problem. Showing 3.69 GHZ in system profiler and p-states 8, 35,36,37.

10.8.5, i7 4770K, GA-Z87X-UD3H

I've been wondering about this myself... I have a 4770k (3.5/3.9 turbo) and the first time I booted, OSX read 3.69. Which to my understanding means my Z87N-WIFI possibly voided the warranty on my CPU... I was not planning on doing any over clocking for a while for this very reason.

I went into the BIOS and the multiplier was at 37 and everything else seemed to be set to auto... I did some messing around changing the multiplier and then went ahead and set it back to 37 and now it reads 3.7 in OSX. I'm still confused as to whether this is the normal operating frequency or the turbo frequency (or possibly splitting the difference) and have no idea why it automatically started saying 3.69 but apparently I am not alone here.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this...

Hi people:

I have the same problem, less than a month ago I built a hackintosh. At first I showed my 3.9 ghz i7 4770k, after three days with bios problems for wanting to do a triple boot, I updated and the problem has been resolved, mark my cpu 3.89ghz constant speed.

Someone left some solution.

enable XMP profile and it will run at 3.9

Hehe, I had the same issue (using a 4770k though). I was wondering why my temps were at an average of 66C on hottest core when using Prime95 (69C max)... I thought "That can't be right... I'm using a Hyper 212 Evo..." Of course, I just now realized it was underclocked. After enabling XMP I'm getting an average of 75C on my hottest core (78C max). That's a bit more realistic, not that I'm happy my temps are higher. ;) My coolest core is running at the same temp as the hottest before the fix. Interesting...
Thanks for the tip Joyjoy98! Don't know why I didn't enable XMP to begin with...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back