Contribute
Register

i7 3820

Status
Not open for further replies.
The platform is so far not supported, as it's an LGA-2011 CPU and it would go into an X79 motherboard. As Apple skipped upgrading the MacPro's this year, you won't get support for a wide range of features, although admittedly you could build a system based on that CPU. You'd really have to have a look at some user builds here to get a better idea of what works and what doesn't.
Performance wise it's not any faster than a Core i7-3770, but yes, that is a good price.

thanks...ill be picking up the i5 3570k when ML natively supports it.

or is it worth the extra bucks for the i7 3770k?

the hackintosh will be use for studying, gaming, light video and photo editing.

here the stuff i already bought:
Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 military green
Ssd: Crucial m4 128gb
Hd: Samsung Spinpoint 1tb
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 550 ti
Cpu cooler: hyper evo 212
Wifi:BCM94322mc Airport Extreme Card with mini PCI adapter
Optical: Sony 7280
Monitor: Viewsonic Vx2453 24inch

Just waiting on a CPU + Mobo combo plus 16gb ram most likely corsair vengeance low pro
Also, Psu thats at least 700w

So the Core i5 will be fine then.

Why do you need at least a 700W PSU for that? I'd say 500-550W should be more than plenty for that hardware, just get a decent quality one.

pgbuilt said:
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 550 ti

If you want to do gaming and you can afford it, a GTX 560 is a substantially more powerful card.

EDIT: Missed the already purchased part, nevermind.

ggeorge....its still in the box ill keep that in mind i could still exchange it..thanks for replying

any of you guys have feedback on rosewill hive series power supply...550 to 750w modular design?

pgbuilt said:
ggeorge....its still in the box ill keep that in mind i could still exchange it..thanks for replying

YW, Tom's hardware has good charts to give you a decent idea of how fast they are relative to each other.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2011 ... s,123.html

Just remember that SLI doesn't work under OSX.

pgbuilt said:
any of you guys have feedback on rosewill hive series power supply...550 to 750w modular design?

Quick google says it's okay. Modular really isn't that significant, unless you're OCD about your cables and neatly routing them.

ggeorge...if i do get a second 550 ti run SLI on separate ssd boot running windows 7 would i get any problems switching to OSX ...sorry noob question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back