i7-11700 Hardware Upgrade Question

Motherboard
MSI Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi
CPU
i7-10700
Graphics
UHD 630
Hi All,

I have decided to retire my trusty Haswell Hackintosh and have found a great deal on a gently used PC with the following specs:

Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
Intel i7-11700
16gb g-skill ram
Samsung/hynix 256gb NVME m.2 ssd
600 watt modular power supply

The owner actually posted that this was a i7-10700 which is what peaked my interest then I noticed some CPUZ shots that showed it was an 11700.

I know I cannot use the IGPU with this processor so I plan on picking up an RX 580 for now. Does anyone see any issues with this setup for either Ventura or Sonoma?

I have not built an EFI for a couple of years so would appreciate any advice before I purchase the PC

Thanks in advance

Hi All,

I have decided to retire my trusty Haswell Hackintosh and have found a great deal on a gently used PC with the following specs:

Intel i7-11700
16gb g-skill ram
Samsung/hynix 256gb NVME m.2 ssd
600 watt modular power supply

The owner actually posted that this was a i7-10700 which is what peaked my interest then I noticed some CPUZ shots that showed it was an 11700.

I know I cannot use the IGPU with this processor so I plan on picking up an RX 580 for now. Does anyone see any issues with this setup for either Ventura or Sonoma?

I have not built an EFI for a couple of years so would appreciate any advice before I purchase the PC

Thanks in advance
Samsung/hynix 256gb NVME m.2 ssd will need to be also replaced

Intel i7-11700
Instead of a mixed 10th/11th gen used system with incompatible iGPU, I'd go with building my own 12th gen system. Would perform so much better for not much more money. Z690 boards are very affordable, new or refurb. Then add an i7-12700F or KF to that. Along with a decent Navi AMD GPU.

Screen Shot 1.jpg

Screen Shot.jpg

A factory refurbished Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Ultra for $140 ! Unless the seller you're considering for Z490
offers a really excellent deal, I'd go with a Z690 build. PCIe 5.0 and DDR5 ram will give you
many more useful years of life. Add in a WD PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD and it's a really fast system.

Screen Shot 2.jpg

814wvqQu+RL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Instead of a mixed 10th/11th gen used system with incompatible iGPU, I'd go with building my own 12th gen system.
OK I will look into pricing this, I am not new to building PC's. I did find this PC for $500 CDN so I will be interested to see what the cost will be to build one.
I actually have a custom PC I built for my flight sim hobby with a 12700K & a 4090.

If it is way more expensive to build would the PC I mentioned work?

If it is way more expensive to build would the PC I mentioned work?
With the right AMD graphics card yes. I usually avoid mixing a different gen CPU and motherboard.
I prefer to have the supported UHD630 to use over an 11th gen CPU that has unsupported iGPU.
Don't need to always be running a dGPU that pulls 100s of watts of power.

With the right AMD graphics card yes. I usually avoid mixing a different gen CPU and motherboard.
I prefer to have the supported UHD630 to use over an 11th gen CPU that has unsupported iGPU.
Don't need to always be running a dGPU that pulls 100s of watts of power.
Thank you, that is food for thought.

Maybe I will look for some used components incl up to a 10700. I see you have a i5-10500 with a RX 570, how does that perform? Can you edit basic 4K video (Drone footage for example) on that? I do not necessarily need an i7

Can you edit basic 4K video (Drone footage for example) on that? I do not necessarily need an i7
I don't shoot 4K video, mostly just 1080p and it handles that with no problem. The 10th gen i5s went to 6 cores 12 threads from the 4/4 that Seventh gen Kaby Lake i5s had and the 6/6 that 8th and 9th gen i5s had. So that helps with things like editing or gaming. An i7 would make sense if the price isn't that much more than the i5.

Screen Shot 3.jpg

Last edited:
Back