3tc

Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
hi,
i have a hackintosh dell mini 9, but i'm a hackintosh noob as all i did was to read and execute tutorials.

now i need a new desktop pc for max. 700€ (950$) and osx would be awesome.
here are the options i have (the shop offers) and the one i'd choose spontaneously without having any clue about osx compatibility
i hope there is at least one possible combination, if there are more i'd prefer the least time consuming and future proof regarding osx installation and updates (as far as it's possible to make predictions...)

Case: Coolermaster Sileo 500
PSU: some 550W they have in stock (cheapest one)
RAM: 2x2gb corsair xms3 ddr3 cl9 1600 or corsair dominator ddr3 cl8 1600 +35€
CPU: i5-760 +-0€ or i5-750 -3.5€
Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3 +-0€ or Asus P7H55-M -35€ / Asus P7P55-M -23€ / Gigabyte GA-H55-UD3H -23€ / Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 +20€
Graphics: NVidia GT 240+-0€ or GT220 -9€ / GTS 450 + 40€
WLAN: TP-Link TL-WN951N or D-Link DWA-547 (didn't search but I think they'll only work in Windows, so this one doesn't matter)

Thanks!!

First, it is hard to determine what will be supported the longest. This is one of the risks you take when you build a hackintosh, and you must be happy with this decision ahead of time. It's always possible that the next update will break your system, even if it's not likely. This is just something to accept.

Going with one of the Gigabyte P55 boards is always a solid choice. I'm very happy with my UD2, but I've heard it's sold out at some places. I'm not positive what the next best supported board is, but maybe the UD4? I also know that many people are going with the X58 boards, but that might be overkill.

Be careful with a power supply. Going with the cheapest isn't always the best idea. Many people believe the power supply is one of the most important pieces to your build. It's strongly advised to get a respectable PSU.

RAM and CPU look good.

I believe I've seen a number of people that have the GT 240 working well. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go with the ATI 5770. Just seems to be the best bang for the buck right now.

the cheapest power supply they have is an enermax, forgot to say that.
5770 looks great. it should work for a while since it's the standard configuration for mac pros, right?

DONT cheap out on a PSU, its the only component in the whole system that has the potential to take everything else with it if it dies. I would only buy a Corsair, Antec, Silverstone. Have a look for a good deal on an Antec True Power model.

I'll choose the Antec one then, difference are 4€ ;)

About the ati 5770 thing: I don't know if i misunderstood something, but why are there problems with that card (something about 32bit ok but no 64bit at the moment), i thought it would be recognized ootb if it's the standard in the mac pros ?

3tc said:
I'll choose the Antec one then, difference are 4€ ;)

About the ati 5770 thing: I don't know if i misunderstood something, but why are there problems with that card (something about 32bit ok but no 64bit at the moment), i thought it would be recognized ootb if it's the standard in the mac pros ?

I could be completely wrong here, but I think the 5770s that you can buy from Apple's site run 64-bit, but I'm honestly unsure. There should be support for it soon, hopefully.

Main thing about the 5770, is there are loads of variants, and some appear to be more easy to get working than others. So please do read lots on the 5770 threads here and elsewhere and pick one that others have got working with the outputs that you expect to be using (DP, DVI etc).
The 64bit thing is also "sorted" for many 5770s, by use of modified version of Chameleon RC5 bootloader that includes the device ID and suitable frame-buffer reference, to avoid the need for a 32-bit only graphics enabling kext.

Getting the 5770 to work in 64bit is now even easier if your replace the Chameleon RC5 bootloader with Kabyl's version. No need to extract roms etc. just set GraphicsEnabler to yes and you're all set. My MSI Hawk 5770 runs beautifully in 64bits. Only tested DVI though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back