Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi
Not sure if its normal but the system info is reporting my i5 cpu as a xeon cpu and its running at 2.07ghz rather than 2.67ghz is this normal or have i done something wrong

cheers d

Check your POST screen and see how it is reported there. You may have to hit TAB during the white Gigabyte screen after power-on.

Reported as Xeon in the about this mac screen=normal.
wrong frequency is not normal. Check your bios settings to make sure you have the right multiplier and everything...

I have the same problem. My i5 750 CPU is reported to run at 2.07GHz. Will do a restart soon to check settings in BIOS

Optimized Defaults, then set the AHCI, then HPET to 64bit. These are minimal mandatory settings for OS X.

Thanks Guys

Just went through my bios and rechecked everything, it was all set ok, but i reloaded just to be sure.
When i got back into Osx about this mac page, it was reading the chip as a 2.7ghz go figure?? The chip is still listed as an Xeon I guess this is less important?
Can you damage the chip by the Os not reading it properly?
(Excuse me if my terminolgy is not quite correct)

@wlp5
wlp5 said:
make sure you have the right multiplier and everything...

I take it by multiplier you are refering to the HPET setting or is it something else?

Cheers and Thanks Dave

No, I'm talking about the CPU frequency multiplier which sets your CPU's frequency. Sounds like it was wrong and you fixed it by loading optimized defaults. Should be at 20x for your CPU.

My settings i BIOS had changed. The multipler for the CPU had changed from 20x to 15x

I loaded defaults again and everything was OK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back