Contribute
Register

i5 750 Snow Leopard Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Tony I have a Sony Optiarc 7200s lying around somewhere, and I think I had that issue last time when I tried to install OS X 10.5.8 when I used the LG drive it was incredibly noisy and the Sony was silent compared to the LG.

Sorry to revive this thread but I have similar sort of hardware to the OP and looking to install OSX Snow Leopard. Basically my hardware is:
Intel core i5 750, Gigabyte P55A UD4, ATI Radeon 4850 X2 512Mb, 4x2Gb Kingston DDR3 1333MHz

From the research I have done all the hardware should be ok for a vanilla kernel install except for the video card. I was wondering if ATI Radeon 4850 cards can be used with native resolution & QE/CI with OSX? All the stuff I come across, i haven't seen a definitive answer. Any help would be great. Cheers!

itsafunkything said:
Sorry to revive this thread but I have similar sort of hardware to the OP and looking to install OSX Snow Leopard. Basically my hardware is:
Intel core i5 750, Gigabyte P55A UD4, ATI Radeon 4850 X2 512Mb, 4x2Gb Kingston DDR3 1333MHz

From the research I have done all the hardware should be ok for a vanilla kernel install except for the video card. I was wondering if ATI Radeon 4850 cards can be used with native resolution & QE/CI with OSX? All the stuff I come across, i haven't seen a definitive answer. Any help would be great. Cheers!
The 4850 can be a very troublesome card. In particular, this card http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentatio ... 01&pid=220 is known as the ATI from Hell.

Also OS X does not support SLI or CrossFire mode. You will need to remove the bridge strap and edit the DSDT to support 2 cards.

Cheers for that! Yeah I sort of got that vibe from the research as well. I'll hold off OSX until I get an Nvidia card later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back