Graphics
HD6770
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey everyone, I am fairly new to the forum, have been building rigs for the past 10 years but no hackintoshes thus far.
So basically I've compiled a system:

bWFpbmltYWdlcy9aODdYLUQzSC0yNTAuanBn.jpeg
GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-D3H Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) ATX Motherboard
bWFpbmltYWdlcy9oYXN3ZWxsaTVib3guanBn.jpeg
Intel Core i5-4670K 3.40GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail
bWFpbmltYWdlcy8zMDByXzI1MC1hd2FyZC5qcGc=.jpeg
Corsair Carbide 300R Black Midi Tower Gaming Case
bWFpbmltYWdlcy82MDAtY3htLTI1MC5qcGc=.jpeg
600W Corsair Builder Series CX600M 80PLUS Bronze Modular Power Supply
bWFpbmltYWdlcy9ibGFja192ZW5nX2R1YWxfMjUwLmpwZw==.jpeg
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance Jet Black Low Profile 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Dual/Quad Channel Kit [CML8GX3M2A1600C9]
bWFpbmltYWdlcy90eDNldm9fMjUwLmpwZw==.jpeg
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO Quiet CPU Cooler

I have a 128gb Kingston SSDnow V300+ and a 7200RPM 750GB Samsung already plus peripherals. It would see the most use as a Photoshop and lightroom workstation. Right now I wouldn't want to spend on the dedicated vga, maybe a gtx650 down the road when they are a bit cheaper. My main concerns would be the ssd if I should look for a more suitable model to use as the OS drive and whether I could get away with a less powerful PSU. Any thoughts on this build are welcome. Cheers ;)!

Hey everyone, I am fairly new to the forum, have been building rigs for the past 10 years but no hackintoshes thus far.
So basically I've compiled a system:

bWFpbmltYWdlcy9aODdYLUQzSC0yNTAuanBn.jpeg
GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-D3H Intel Z87 (Socket 1150) ATX Motherboard
bWFpbmltYWdlcy9oYXN3ZWxsaTVib3guanBn.jpeg
Intel Core i5-4670K 3.40GHz (Haswell) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail
bWFpbmltYWdlcy8zMDByXzI1MC1hd2FyZC5qcGc=.jpeg
Corsair Carbide 300R Black Midi Tower Gaming Case
bWFpbmltYWdlcy82MDAtY3htLTI1MC5qcGc=.jpeg
600W Corsair Builder Series CX600M 80PLUS Bronze Modular Power Supply
bWFpbmltYWdlcy9ibGFja192ZW5nX2R1YWxfMjUwLmpwZw==.jpeg
8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance Jet Black Low Profile 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Dual/Quad Channel Kit [CML8GX3M2A1600C9]
bWFpbmltYWdlcy90eDNldm9fMjUwLmpwZw==.jpeg
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO Quiet CPU Cooler

I have a 128gb Kingston SSDnow V300+ and a 7200RPM 750GB Samsung already plus peripherals. It would see the most use as a Photoshop and lightroom workstation. Right now I wouldn't want to spend on the dedicated vga, maybe a gtx650 down the road when they are a bit cheaper. My main concerns would be the ssd if I should look for a more suitable model to use as the OS drive and whether I could get away with a less powerful PSU. Any thoughts on this build are welcome. Cheers ;)!

I can't think of any reason the Kingston SSD wouldn't work. And yes, you can almost definitely use a less powerful PSU. When I put your specs in to the PSU Calculator at http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp, it came up with 200W PSU needed for your system as it's listed now. If you add the GTX650, it goes up to 256W. So I'd get 430W or so to leave plenty of room for error.

Thanks for your input. I am now also considering dropping the Z87X -D3H in favor of the cheaper Z87-HD3 because I won't need triple SLI support or an excessive amount usb 3.0 ports (I already have a pci usb 3.0 controller card in my 775 system if I suddenly run out of usb 3.0 ports :) ). Are there any other significant differences between the two boards I missed?

not for what you plan to do with the system, no.

Thanks, it's what I was thinking as well.
I recently noticed that the later does not feature a DisplayPort and has less SATA connectors but that's really not an issue for me.

Just bumping this thread to ask if it would be feasible to exclude the beefier cooling from the build and just use the stock heatsink bundled with the CPU:think:??
And I am considering going for a cheaper case, I was looking at the Zalman Z9 which is almost 40% cheaper and for me basically offers the same functionallity as the awesome but pricey Corsair Arbide 300R. Are there any caveats I might be unaware of?

So mostly for my own record this is how I chipped away at the build:

Mobo-- Z87-HD3 instead of Z87X-D3H
CPU ---i5 4570 instead of 4670K
PSU -- Corsair 430CX instead of the CX600M
Stock cooling instead of the CoolerMaster HyperTX3 EVO
Zalman Z9 case instead of Corsair Arbide 300R

Just bumping this thread to ask if it would be feasible to exclude the beefier cooling from the build and just use the stock heatsink bundled with the CPU:think:??
And I am considering going for a cheaper case, I was looking at the Zalman Z9 which is almost 40% cheaper and for me basically offers the same functionallity as the awesome but pricey Corsair Arbide 300R. Are there any caveats I might be unaware of?

So mostly for my own record this is how I chipped away at the build:

Mobo-- Z87-HD3 instead of Z87X-D3H
CPU ---i5 4570 instead of 4670K
PSU -- Corsair 430CX instead of the CX600M
Stock cooling instead of the CoolerMaster HyperTX3 EVO
Zalman Z9 case instead of Corsair Arbide 300R

Frankly, the case you choose doesn't make a damn bit of difference, as long as it has adequate space for your components, and has good airflow. Cases are generally the same (except for styling which is completely subjective and build quality, which is probably pretty good with the Zalman you chose).

With that in mind, I don't see any need for liquid cooling for the CPU - Intel engineers the coolers shipped with their CPUs to provide adequate cooling, and unless you are trying to do something specialized (like an ultra compact system, all-in-one, etc.) the stock cooler will work fine. So relax and enjoy your experience building your system!

Wow thanks, all good news :headbang:! I have built rigs in the past using crappy cases snagged from office recycling and had no problems, although these were mostly hobbyist no budget fun projects and not a machine I'd use as workhorse in the long term.

One last question. Is the stock cooling adequate even if I choose to enable turbo boost on the 4570?
Your comments have been extremely helpful, thanks again :thumbup:.

Wow thanks, all good news :headbang:! I have built rigs in the past using crappy cases snagged from office recycling and had no problems, although these were mostly hobbyist no budget fun projects and not a machine I'd use as workhorse in the long term.

One last question. Is the stock cooling adequate even if I choose to enable turbo boost on the 4570?
Your comments have been extremely helpful, thanks again :thumbup:.

Since turbo boost is part of the chip's design by Intel (as opposed to overclocking), in my opinion the stock cooler should be adequate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back