Contribute
Register

i5-2500k or i7-2600k... Can someone convince me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to second the idea of buying more RAM. On my Macbook Pro, I've frequently seen Lion use over 6GB, just with iTunes, Mail, iCal and Safari having watched some videos. This is after a few days without a reboot, but many just sleep their desktops as well.

Some of it is 'inactive', but on the occasions where I have neared full memory, it hasn't updated nearly fast enough to prevent loads of page outs, and the whole system slowing to a crawl. So, I would recommend at least 8GB for even the most basic of uses, and 16GB may not be comfortable if you are using loads of apps for a while, doing things like high definition rendering and video editing.

Seriously, if there was a Macbook air with 8GB of RAM, I might never have built my hackintosh in the first place. Apple have always used the bare minimum on their 'consumer' systems, but this combined with RAM that can't be upgraded really worries me what overall experience many users will face.

David

Thanks to everyone for the input. I was immediately sold on Hyperthreading so I went with the 2600k. I already had 16GB RAM sitting in my first Hackintosh, so I didn't skimp out. I've yet to actually put it to work because I'm also doing a G5 case mod for my second build and still piecing it together. I guess the only thing left to get is an SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back