Contribute
Register

i5 2500K only switching between x16 & x33 -help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77-D3H
CPU
i5 2500K OC @ 4.40GHz
Graphics
Nvidia 580GTX
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have an overclocked i5-2500k @ 4.40Ghz, since installing OSX I haven't been able to get Lion to pick up the overclock.

Using EasyBeast as I couldn't find a DSDT for my board (GA-Z77-D3H) and an edited SSDT - based on the Multibeast overclocked one - I have simply added two extra p-states to take it to 4.4.

Trouble is I'm not sure it's being picked up, MSRDumper shows the PstatesReached at only 16 + 33 no matter what I am running even tried GeekTool to see if I could push it into overclock territory.

My system definition is Mac Pro 3,1 I've checked the BIOS settings MacMan specified but I only have a setting for Intel Turbo Boost Tech; Enabled, I couldn't find one for Real-Time ratio changes.

HELP! :D

Did you use the speedstepper patch in Multibeast? That fixed it for me.

Speedstepper patch? I used the following;

Customization -> Boot Options
-Generate CPU States
-SSDT -> Core i5/i7 Overclocked (have since edited this)

Is that what you mean?

Sorry. I wasn't very specific.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-07-01 at 12.41.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-07-01 at 12.41.31 PM.png
    180.8 KB · Views: 479
Ok, so after some fidgeting with my BIOS settings, I have managed to get Lion (10.7.4) to recognize my overclock, but it's still only switching between two multipliers (now x16 or x44).

I have a SSDT modified from the Multibeast Overclocked one with additional p-states all the way up to 44, anyone have any ideas what else to check to get more p-states working?

fracture

This thread is relevant to my interests. I have C1E, EIST and all other CPU features activated in BIOS. Haven't used any AICPUM patches on ML GM though. P-States reached 16x and 42x with the OC overclock SSDT from Tonymac for i5/i7 systems. Should be a couple more, even though I've read that the original iMac 12,2 doesn't get more than two states, low power (16) and full power (e.g. 42).

Here's my boot.plist:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>DSDT</key>
	<string>/Extra/DSDT-GA-Z68X-UD4-B3-F10.aml</string>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GenerateCStates</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>GeneratePStates</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>Graphics Mode</key>
	<string></string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>UseKernelCache</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>npci=0x3000</string>
	<key>Legacy Logo</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>PCIRootUID</key>
	<string>1</string>
	<key>Instant Menu</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>Quiet Boot</key>
	<string>No</string>
	<key>Wait</key>
	<string>no</string>
	<key>GUI</key>
	<string>no</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>1</string>
	<key>DropSSDT</key>
	<string>No</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Please note, that DropSSDT doesn't affect this in any way.

EDIT: On a side note, I've just tested sleep once again (with darkwake=0), which never worked for me when using Lion. Totally disregarded it since then and changed my power up/down habits accordingly. What should I say —*sleep works 100% under Mountain Lion for me! It takes like 5 seconds to sleep the whole system and instantly wakes with a click on my Logitech G700 USB wireless mouse. AWESOME!!! :D

you needn't stress too much about this. long as your system jumps between the lowest and highest p-states as load ramps up, adding all the various p-states between is rather meaningless on desktop computers. i searched out a solution to have my system (identified as an iMac12,1) utilize an additional 6 or so p-states for my particular hackintosh to use, but the system still mostly settles on 16x and 43x. additionally, benchmarks did not change at all, nor did render times in After Effects or Premiere.

while all those extra p-states might be nice from a geek perspective, it's worth noting that Apple didn't even bother to add it to their Sandy/Ivy Bridge iMacs. to gain that bit of functionality, you literally have to copy the p-state switching code from the latest MacBookPro8,x plists to the relevant portion of the iMac plist to activate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back