Contribute
Register

i5-2500k, GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3, Radeon HD 6850 (Former Frostcall build)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3
CPU
i5-2500K (LGA 1155)
Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Referencing this thread which built my hackintosh a year ago (Which I never personally updated to Lion btw):
http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...x-ud2h-b3-i52500k-rad-hd-6850-lion-snole.html

I've put in a brand new hard drive, disconnected all other HDs, the 6850 (running off the onboard), and put myself on 4gb ram.

I was able to make a 10.8 MLion USB installer easily enough and formatted the hard drive to a single GUID Mac OS X Journaled partition and have been able to successfully install 10.8 on the HD using this tony guide: tonymacx86 - UniBeast 1.5: Install OS X Mountain Lion on Any Supported Intel-based PC

Network drivers work right away - nothing extra needed it seems.
Audio - non functional out of the box. If I attempt to boot from the HD directly, it reboots endlessly (duh).

Running Multibeast 4.6.1 and using the exact DSTD.aml from my 10.6 install has so far not worked (the one attached to Frostcall's original post), leads to a "pci root value was not found" error and kernel panics at the gray boot screen. Hm.. a problem.

An easyBeast install with no options other than repair permissions allows the computer to boot without the USB installer, but loses the network driver (and still no audio)....

Added network drivers back with Lnx2Mac realteck "release" version drivers - network connection works.
Added Audio Realtek ACL8xx ---> enabled - -- unified injector, rollback, non-dsdt HDA enabler for 889, and patched apple - No joy so far.
At this point I decided to replace the easybeast dsdt. I went back to the Tonyxmac DSDT database and found the F5 version for this motherboard. Display resolution is now the full size out of the onboard video, network continues to work.

Added Core i5 SSDT Boot option - no problems experienced so far - About this mac reports the i5-2500k (3.3ghz) as a 3.79ghz i5 now. Under 10.6.8 it was a 3.29ghz

Attempting to force an iMac 12,2 profile (like previous 10.6.8 stable install) was causing freeze/graphics issue on boot, skipped.

Audio driver success - installed the realtek ALC8xxHDA (not legacy) from the Unified Device Injector, AppleHDA Rollback, and ALC889 from the non-dsdt HDAEnabler.

Going to add back in the remaining 4x4gb ram recognized, 6850 working flawlessly so far.

Tried Multibeast's NEC USB 3.0 drivers, no success so far....

Attached is the current trial and error Multibeast options I picked, the USB 3.0 ports on the motherboard still are nonfunctioning so I left that option unchecked in the screenshot - the oddest thing so far: this hardware was fine as a 12,2 iMac under 10.6.8, but will fail to boot under 10.8.0. System Profiler currently identifies it as a MacPro 3,1 (Early 2008).

I'll use this system for a few days before appending it as a success. Maybe I'll get the USB3 ports to work as well. I have no ability to test the eSATA port currently. Everything else is going along swimmingly.

Attachments

• MultibeastConfig.jpg
    MultibeastConfig.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 407
Move to the correct forum section. tonymacx86 forum index

User Builds -> Mountain Lion Desktop Guides (forum sections)
|
|
|
V​
User Builds == Confirmed [Successful] User Hardware Build Descriptions and questions on the build description

----------------------------> Forum Rules
<--

So, I was able to get things to work rather satisfactorily with this exact build. I installed MultiBeast with UserDSDT, got PciRoot error at boot. Booted with -f to ignore cache, boot successful. Installed EasyBest over UserDSDT, can boot without passing flags and all hardware is recognized, for example, my Radeon 6850. I don't see any detrimental effects from this. If doing that is a massive no-no, let me know, I'd love to fix this.

All other things like audio, network, and dual monitor support can be added at any given time without worry.

EDIT: I should clarify. I downloaded and installed the prepatched DSDT for this motherboard each time I installed fresh.

as far as I know that's not a "thing you shouldn't do" but I am no expert on this, just someone who had built a hackintosh based on the hardware guide posted last may and updated from 10.6.8 to 10.8 on a fresh HDD.

Looking around the forums here and elsewhere it seems like no one has USB 3.0 working under ML properly yet (or only a very select few) so I'm going to call this a full success until the community can help get around that.

My Lion DSDT caused KP as well, so I installed OS, then ran multibeast to installed easybeast. Boots without flags. Installed using the onboard video by way of HDMI. Plan to install 6870 in the near future, but need to run a backup first.

When downloading a new DSDT from Tonymacx86, I end up with a webpage showing dsdt details. Tried saving as a aml file, but caused KP's within seconds of booting.

So far, so good. System has been up and running with no major issues as of today. Tested sleep and it does not work. Will sleep, but does not wake up using keyboard or touchpad. Since I rarely use the sleep function, I'll leave it for now. Also, no usb3 device, so no testing. However, all usb hubs work with usb2 devices. 6870 card is fully functioning. See details in 6xxx issue thread.

I've been running ML with the installation parameters I outlined above, and everything has been perfect. This is basically the best operating system I've ever used.

Except for the sleep issue, it's been running great on my computer as well. So well, I purchased a new ssd from newegg and will be moving it over when the drive arrives.

Mountain Lion Help

Hi I have the same motherboard and graphics card but a different processor - i7 3770 ivy bridge (which I thought would be more compatible with ML). My problem is after I install and reboot I cannot get past the Apple welcome screen. Neither my mouse or my keyboard work so I cannot select location or press continue.

Advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back