Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Relevant Setup:
i3 3225
Z77-DS3H Rev 1.1
8 GB 1600 MHz RAM
60 GB SSD
No video card - Using HD 4000 Graphics

My apologies if this question has been asked and answered: I have tried a search and while there is a wealth of information out there I did not see anything that directly and succinctly addressed my specific issue. I also tried a thread in the Post-Installation -> Graphics section.

In March I downgraded from a i5-2500k/Z68MA-D2H-B3 setup to an i3-3225/Z77-DS3H setup. I have one monitor (on the left in the attached pictures) connected to the motherboard by DVI. The monitor on the right is connected to the HDMI port, with an HDMI cable coming from the board to an adapter to connect to the monitor by DVI. I am trying to get the HD4000 graphics to correctly display on both monitors.

After getting the CPU and motherboard, I did a fresh install of Mountain Lion 10.8.3. I then ran Multibeast with the typical settings I have seen for my board: No DSDT, typical Audio/Network settings, 1080p display (although my monitors are technically 1680 x 1050, which I later changed in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist). For BIOS settings, I followed some of the various guides for my board, with the change of InitDisplay to IGFX as opposed to Auto, and setting Internal Graphics to Enabled. I left the memory settings the way they were: 64MB.

When I boot up now, the display connected by HDMI cable and HDMI/DVI adapter displays clearly through the BIOS screen, clearly through the Chimera loader, and clear through the Apple logo. When the computer gives me a chance to log in, however, the screen gets garbled as noted in the attached low tech screen shots.

Booting with GraphicsEnabler=No results in clear pictures on both monitors, but they are mirrored and cannot be changed to be distinct workspaces. I also tried setting system definitions to MacMini 6,1 with no success. (MacMini 6,1 actually makes the second monitor MORE garbled).

The fact that it looks normal during BIOS and Apple logo, as well as with GraphicsEnabler=No, leads me to believe it is not a hardware problem or a problem with the cables. I am guessing it is a setting I have missed somewhere along the line.

On a side note, absolutely everything else works completely fine - I know there are some others who have had trouble booting up at all but that does not appear to be my problem.

Any help or other thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you all for a great community.

Attachments

• IMG_20130321_223623.jpg
    IMG_20130321_223623.jpg
    954.9 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20130321_223628.jpg
    IMG_20130321_223628.jpg
    918.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20130321_223639.jpg
    IMG_20130321_223639.jpg
    886.3 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_20130321_223542.jpg
    IMG_20130321_223542.jpg
    927.9 KB · Views: 153
the HD 4000 graphics doesn't support dual monitors in Mountain Lion, you need a Graphics card

Update 2: I have now tried injecting all of the platform ids with 3 or 4 ports - no luck. I have also tried setting system definitions to MacMini6,1 and 6,2 - again, no luck. I tried deleting my FakeSMC and running a vanilla one - no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Did you ever find a solution?

I'm curious because I'm in a nearly-identical situation.

Did you ever find a solution?

I'm curious because I'm in a nearly-identical situation.

I never did. By way of bumping the thread, I have since tried a 10.8.5 Unibeast installation from scratch. As a way to try to troubleshoot, I did the Unibeast installation through the HDMI port only (again, by HDMI to DVI adapter - HDMI on the mobo, DVI on the monitor). The monitor connected to the HDMI port works. Installation completes. After doing so, I cannot enter initial setup until I boot with -x. I can then set up and run MultiBeast. MultiBeast options include DSDT Free, my audio driver, my network driver.

Change BIOS settings to optimized defaults. Change to AHCI, and graphics to IGFX. Also change memory to Profile1.

Long story short: any injection of GraphicsEnabler=Yes now gives me a black screen with the monitor having no signal until I power cycle the computer. GraphicsEnabler=No (or left blank) gets me to a functioning desktop, but with a max resolution of 1024x768 and no Acceleration. About My Mac shows 64MB for the graphics. Messing with IGPlatformIDs (in particular 01620005, which another user said worked for him) makes no difference. Changing the SMBIOS to macmini 5,1 or 6,1 or imac 12,2 or 13,1 does nothing.

The research I have been able to do seems to indicate that there is a problem when the framebuffer loads that causes the black screen, but I have yet to figure out what to do to fix it.

I have a parallel thread going here: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/93559-hd4000-i3-3225-ga-z77-ds3h-dual-monitor-question.html

Any additional thoughts would be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back