Contribute
Register

i3-10100F/H410 Build

Motherboard
Motherboard OR System/Laptop make and model names > See Forum Rules!
CPU
i3-2125
Graphics
HD 3000
Hi Folks!

I can get the following components for a good price (some 300 bucks):

- i3 10100F
- Gigabyte H410M S2H V2 (I don't need wifi)
- RX 6600 (Sapphire Pulse)

I have the rest (case, psu, memory, and a 512gb samsung 970 pro, which should be compatible). I'll get BT with a dongle.

Should I buy? Will it be easy to get to a functional, stable MacOS X installation? Something difficult I should be aware of? Should I buy a 9-series CPU for better compatibility?

Consider that I'm a hackintosh beginner.

Thanks!

ADDENDUM:
  • I selected a 10-th gen cpu not to be driven mad by a complexities with latest-gen intel processors. So, simplicity of installation is a priority.
  • My goal is being able to drive the Studio Display with the rx 6600, with a DP --> USB-C cable. Will I be able to do that?

Thanks!

ADDENDUM:
  • My goal is being able to drive the Studio Display with the rx 6600, with a DP --> USB-C cable. Will I be able to do that?

Thanks!

Not with just any cable most of them are USB-C Source But you need it to be DP source. Also a USB -C to USB-C cable from the RX6600 USBC port will not work. One that works for sure is:

Huawei Belkin VR Glass Computer Connecting Cable Charge & Sync Cable

There is another option where it will work natively but that can be a big undertaking and requires a TB3 Add-in card.

Not with just any cable most of them are USB-C Source But you need it to be DP source. Also a USB -C to USB-C cable from the RX6600 USBC port will not work. One that works for sure is:

Huawei Belkin VR Glass Computer Connecting Cable Charge & Sync Cable

There is another option where it will work natively but that can be a big undertaking and requires a TB3 Add-in card.

Yes, I was aware of that, but your was a good advice. Actually, I'm already using a cheapo Amazon Basics DP<->USB-C bidirectional cable to drive an usb-c monitor.
I don't think though, that such a cable can do 5k@60hz.
I won't venture in trying a TB3 card. Your belkin cable will do :)

But tell me.. Why can't I use the USB-C output of the RX 6600? And where should I start to ascertain if my config is 100% compatible?

Thanks!

Yes, I was aware of that, but your was a good advice. Actually, I'm already using a cheapo Amazon Basics DP<->USB-C bidirectional cable to drive an usb-c monitor.
I don't think though, that such a cable can do 5k@60hz.
I can not say though it might work and flicker a lot.

I won't venture in trying a TB3 card.
If you can follow directions and you are fairly good with Tech it is fairly simple.

Your belkin cable will do :)
I want to say the USB ports on the monitor do not work with the cable.

But tell me.. Why can't I use the USB-C output of the RX 6600?
Because it doesn't work I am not sure why it just does not work.

And where should I start to ascertain if my config is 100% compatible?

Thanks!
Not really sure what you mean by this, if your system boots and works now in theory when you plug the Belkin cable in to the display port the Studio Display will work. Though I used my Studio Display with Gigabyte Titan Ridge, with modified firmware. I bought the cable because the display was not waking from sleep. Then I hooked up the USB2.0 cable to the Titan Ridge and that fixed sleep so the cable ended up being a waste for me.

Honestly it might be worth the time and effort to get a titan ridge; a Rpi; and a SOC8 cable and flash the card to the Modified Designer z390 firmware.

Last edited:
Back