Contribute
Register

I would like to build a new hack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there: i would like to build a hackintosh. but i am wondering about the configuraion.
As i would like to build a powerful computer to work with for a couple of years i was thinking about this first:

mobo: GA-x99-ud5 wifi.

cpu: Xeon E5 quad 3,7 ghz
ram: 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 not sure which
Graphics: Nvidia gtx 970
Power: be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 650w

but then i was told that it would pbly be not as easy using the x99 board from gigabyte, so then i decided to maybei should better go with this system.

mobo: Ga-z97xud5h or ud3h
cpu:i74790K
ram: 32gb ddr3
graphics: nvidia 970 pbly the oc from gigabyte
power:
Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 650w

as i am a newbie to hacks and only build one once, i am not sure to descide, and would appreciate your help. kind regards

If you follow the buyers guide then you should be OK.

The Z97X motherboards from Gigabyte work well, I have a Z97X and a Z87X and it works pretty well.

The key to the Gigabyte boards with the 4790K CPU is to get the BIOS up to the right current level otherwise the Turboboost doesn't work. Also you must buy the correct memory for the motherboard, ignore cheap deals, ignore somebody who told you down the pub that this combination of memory will work. Go to a reputable manufacturer, Crucial, etc etc, and check that your exact board matches their exact memory. Check very single character in the SKU to make sure it is right.

No idea on nVidia cards but no doubt somebody will chip in. I will say there do seem to be a lot of beta drivers floating about as nvidia tries to keep up with Apple OS releases. I use 280X cards and have no issues, though the 280X cards are probably not so good for games, but I fail to see why anybody would ever build a Mac for games, simply install Windows and done with it. hey ho, lets move on.

The rest of your kits is too high level to comment on. 650W PSU is big enough, no interest what case you choose.

Installation is either Multibeast or Clover. I used to favour Multibeast but have now moved to Clover and have had very, very few issues. So long as you stick to the guide it works. Most problems are because people don't read the guide properly, though insist they do, and then post e-mails saying how it doesn't work. It does :D

Get the BIOS sorted out first. The guide tells you what to set.

Installation (without nVidia drivers) is around 60 mins from start to finish. Creating the USB key another 30-40 mins. Install without the nVidia cards at first and use maxmem=4096 or maxmem=8192 along with -x. Once you have a stable system, then install the nVidia drivers. Your system will work quite well with the internal graphics card. Unless you play games it will work very well indeed.

Once installed get a backup copy of the OS and put it somewhere safe. Carbon Copy Cloner is well worth the money.

Follow the yellow brick road and you'll be fine.

Rob

@rwillet: Tank you very much for your advise!

I think i will go with exactly theses components then:

cpu:i7 4790k
mobo:Ga-z97ud5h
Ram: 32gb of either Corsair vangance (cmz32gx3m4x1866c10) or crucial ballistix tactical
Graphics: Gigabyte gtx 970 oc
ssd:Samsung 850 Pro
hdd:Seagate barracuda
power: bequiete dark power 10 650w
case:fractal define r5

no i just wasnt sure which of the gtx 970 to choose best, and i had the feeling that the ga gtx 970 oc is a good card for the price. the computer would be used for video editing later. any suggestions would be welcome :)

btw will 1866mhz ddr3 ram work with the ga z97ud5h?

If your main reason is video editing, then your choice of software will determine the best GPU. If you are using FCP X then the 970 is not a good graphics card. It will work but is nowhere near as good as an AMD card such as a 280X.

If video editing is a hobby and you are OK with things taking longer (and thats a perfectly good reason) stick with the 970. if your main reason for doing this is editing FCP X then choose a far faster card.

There is nothing wrong per se with the 970, its just that FCP X is optimised for AMD over nVidia. If video editing is 10% of your world don't worry though, it still works, just a lot slower. However Premiere is quick and other things are quick. Its all horses for courses and only you can say what is important to you.

Rob.

iam building this hack actually for my colleague at work, who doesnt really know what he needs, he said he would have gone with a new imac otherwise. but he is a doing a lot of video editing i guess. i see you have a 280X running, but i am a bit weary if it may will exceed my abilities to get it running, as it was also not listed in the buyers guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back