Contribute
Register

I wanna connect my Hackintoshs' SSD as an external drive to my MacBook and boot it. Am I insane?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97x-UD5H
CPU
i7 4790K
Graphics
GTX 970
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi everyone, not sure am I in the right forum section....so if I'm not, please direct me to the right one.
And I am also not sure is it possible to execute my idea, so please hear me out.

Is it possible to boot my Hackintoshs' SSD from external drive on my MacBook?
Sorry if it sounds insane... but essentially I need to move on form this build and sell the hardware, but I would like to keep this particuall OS installation and continue some work there.

Naturally, I tried to connect my hackintosh SSD as external drive on Macbook but the booting process was unsuccessful, giving me the message "unable to verify installation" or something in that regard.

Has anybody attempted something like this before and do you think it can be done?

And a bonus question... does my MacBook use the Clover config setting from the Hackintosh SSD? Maybe that's why it can't be booted?

Any insight you guys can provide would be helpful.

Hi everyone, not sure am I in the right forum section....so if I'm not, please direct me to the right one.
And I am also not sure is it possible to execute my idea, so please hear me out.

Sorry if it sounds insane... but essentially I need to move on form this build and sell the hardware, but I would like to keep this particuall OS installation and continue some work there.

Naturally, I tried to connect my hackintosh SSD as external drive on Macbook but the booting process was unsuccessful, giving me the message "unable to verify installation" or something in that regard.

Has anybody attempted something like this before and do you think it can be done?

And a bonus question... does my MacBook use the Clover config setting from the Hackintosh SSD? Maybe that's why it can't be booted?

don't do that

just keep the drive somewhere safe

just keep the drive somewhere safe
what do you mean by that?

Maybe I wasn't clear on what I'm trying to do... i decided to sell my hackintosh hardware and just use my MacBook...for now. The thing is I am in the middle of some audio work on the Hackintosh and I'd like to continue working on it seamlessly (or as seamless as possible) on MacBook...not even sure is it possible.

What kind of MacBook is it?

what do you mean by that?

Maybe I wasn't clear on what I'm trying to do... i decided to sell my hackintosh hardware and just use my MacBook...for now. The thing is I am in the middle of some audio work on the Hackintosh and I'd like to continue working on it seamlessly (or as seamless as possible) on MacBook...not even sure is it possible.
you didn't mention that

best to put it into a usb enclosure and then plug it in when you have booted your real mac

best to put it into a usb enclosure and then plug it in when you have booted your real mac

That's exactly what I did...it is show in the Disk utiliy but when I reboot and try to buut the OS from it it did not work, as i described in my first post...I am not sure is it possible to make it work...the only message i get is "unable to verify Mac OS installation" or something along those lines.

does my MacBook use the Clover config setting from the Hackintosh SSD? Maybe that's why it can't be booted?
Clover will often mess with a real Mac's EFI partition. Best to not boot from the hackintosh SSD plugged into the Macbook. Install the programs you need to use on the Macbook and move your data over from the hack SSD. If you want to switch to Opencore, that is less risky when used with real Macs.

Clover will often mess with a real Mac's EFI partition. Best to not boot from the hackintosh SSD plugged into the Macbook. Install the programs you need to use on the Macbook and move your data over from the hack SSD.
I hope I did not mess anything by trying this.

Thing is, I cannot install all the plugins and audio stuff I have on there, as some of it is not even supported past Catalina (My Hackintosh is still High Sierra) ...i was really hoping to make it work somehow :(

i was really hoping to make it work somehow
The 2019 MBP hardware is designed for Mojave or newer macOS versions. High Sierra will not work without a lot of modification to your SSD that would take much time and effort. Stuff you probably won't know how to do. Actually, I've never heard of anyone even trying high sierra on a 2019 MBP. It certainly wouldn't be possible to install it directly to the laptop's SSD.

You may not install an operating system older than what shipped with the Mac. In your case, and for a 2019 model, that will be Mojave 10.14.5. Apple.com

Last edited:
Back