Contribute
Register

I updated to the last bios of the maximus hero XI motherboard and now mojave doesn´t boot (Stuck virtual IOReturn IONVMEcontroller)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z590 Vision D
CPU
intel i9 10900k
Graphics
intel 630 Desktop
I updated to the last bios of the maximus hero XI motherboard (1105, from 1005) and now it doesn´t boot.
Stuck on virtual IOReturn IONVMEcontroller.
Any idea what it could be?

Thank you.

Last edited:
I updated to the last bios of the maximus hero XI motherboard (1105, from 1005) and now it doesn´t boot.
Stuck on virtual IOReturn IONVMEcontroller.
Any idea what it could be?

Thank you.

View attachment 413439

Did you ever figure this out? I have the same motherboard, and I'm pretty scared to try updating the BIOS.

-Kyle

Did you ever figure this out? I have the same motherboard, and I'm pretty scared to try updating the BIOS.

-Kyle

I've spent the last week building my fourth Hackintosh using the Hero XI (Wi-Fi) motherboard. One of the first things I did after booting up this new board was update the BIOS to 1105 from, I think, 1005. The project since then has been nothing but a pain!!!

My other builds used Gigabyte motherboards which were so much less painful!

I didn't experience the "Stuck on virtual IOReturn IONVMEcontroller" issue, but experienced a failure to boot after some APFS code. I found that applying the ACPI patch described in this post

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/fix-for-boot-hangs-after-bios-update-acpi-patch.275091/

resolved my boot failure.

I had sleep/wake/shutdown problems which I eventually resolved using bits and pieces of information from this and other web sites where posters had used the Hero XI motherboard. Unfortunately none of these other builds mentioned which BIOS version they used.

Bottom line -- I've got the Hero XI (Wi-Fi) running Mojave 10.14.5 using SMBIOS iMacPro(1,1), i9-9900K, Radeon RX-580. So BIOS version 1105 can be made to work with my hardware. Still subject to further testing and tweaking.

Whether you upgrade depends on whether you want to risk potentially spending some time to get it working. Maybe your BIOS upgrade will be painless.

Check what's updated in the BIOS to see if it's worth potential problems.

-Kyle

No, ......I had to go back to bios 1005.....:banghead:

Nothing yet? Do i have to revert back to 1005?

I GOT IT WORKING!!! LET ME KNOW IF YOU ARE STILL OUT THERE

I tried a couple of things and got it installed. I honestly don't know how it worked. First I got past the issue everyone was having above by copying these 2 kext, running this command in terminal and adding an ACPI patch.

Sources:

The BIOS section of @MacMan 's build giving credit to @mattystonnie
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-vega-64-updated-10-14-6.275272/#post-1940477

The 2 Kexts files I added:
FakePCIID_Instel_HD_Graphics.kext
FakePCIID.kext

I also change/played with the drivers in Clover Config. Loaded the config in clover, went to install the Drivers section and switched the drivers in the UEFI 64 section. I'll send off the details later. Writing this on the fly

No, ......I had to go back to bios 1005.....:banghead:

I did not have to revert back to the old BIOS. I have the newest one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back