I5 6600K
Graphics
Gigabyte GT 1030
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there. I think I'm ready to buy my parts, but as I've seen a couple double check posts, I thought perhaps making one would help in case I'm missing something. If someone who is knowledgeable sees any issues, please let me know. Each part is linked below if you click on the part text.

This computer will be a combo HTPC and a home computer for family use. It will be a dual monitor setup, with a TV and a desktop Monitor. I'll be running a Logitech wireless keyboard/trackpad for now, as well as a Logitech universal remote.

Case: Streacom F7C Alpha
PSU: Streacom Nano160
IR Receiver: Streacom Flirc SE
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110N (Rev 1.0)
CPU: Intel Core I3-6100
Memory: Crucial 4GB DDR4 2133
Boot Drive: Crucial MX3 M.2 2280 275GB
Storage Drive: Seagate BarraCuda 4TB
Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc BluRay Combo
CPU Cooler: Silverstone NT07-115X
Case Fan: SilenX EFX-08-15

I think the only thing I'm not sure about is where to get a Wifi Card to get iMessage and other Wifi/Bluetooth features to work. I will be using an Ethernet connection for internet as far as I can tell, at least for the near future, but I would like to get Wifi to work if possible. I think there are M.2 solutions, and if I could find one on Newegg, I would add it to the order. If I can't, I can look at adding it down the road I think. I'd like to keep the PCI slot open for the potential for a 4K slim profle GPU down the road, which I can't afford to add right now.

I also realize that while the 170N motherboards are very popular and known to work, I save about $60 going with the 110, especially because I'm in Canada. I don't see why it won't work, and all my searches here have said that it should. It's features suit me, and I'd like to save a little money where I can. If there's a reason this won't work, I would probably be considering the Gigabyte 170 board as an alternative.

4GB of ram seems to be enough for the purposes I'm going to be using this computer for. I am only getting one stick, as opposed to a dual 2GB stick, so if I do need something in the future, I can add another stick of Ram and upgrade the Ram. Similarly, the storage is expandable in the case, as I can add a second 3.5" drive if I need to, and a 2.5" drive as well. I may add a 2.5" drive in the future and load Linux for a dual boot system, but for now I can't afford the extra drive, and I'd rather have a running Mac than a dual booth to start.

Thanks for any help or advice. Links to any recommended or replacement parts would be appreciated.

Jacob

4GB is barely enough ram to run macOS Sierra. Get an 8GB dual channel kit to start with. Macs or CustoMacs work best with ram in dual channel mode. You'll never see any Mac that ships with a single DIMM of ram.

That helps! Thanks, I'll switch the Memory out for more.

In the meantime, the Gigabyte H110N is now out of stock at Newegg...

Jacob

As mentioned above, I'm in Canada. I don't know what the difference is, but perhaps I can order all these things from the states. Perhaps I'll have to give Newegg a call. Will a real person answer the phone?

Jacob

Yes, Newegg has real people in customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back