Contribute
Register

i think i have a solution for the gts 450 crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
gigabyte z87mx-d3h. 16gb ddr3 ram
CPU
i7 4771. 3.5ghz
Graphics
geforce gtx 660 2gb
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
i think i have an idea for a solution for the crashes on 10.6.7 with the gts 450 models. okay, most report no crashes if you play a low res video in vlc looping. this is becuase your gpu is using more power and clocking higher. the crash happenes when the card settles down then needs to become active again. in my bios i can change the voltage/clock speeds to have the card run at a set speed all the time. i went ahead and spent time in windows using gpuz to monitor my temps and voltage as i played several games and videos. the highest voltage i got was to 101mhz. in leopard this should be about the same readings. problem is there's no concrete solution to read gpu temps on this card within osx nor to be able to clock the fan speeds at all.

" this only works in windows" with the evga precision tool. there are several programs out there that can allow you to modify your gpu rom bios files as far as voltage, fan speeds...etc. problem is i do not feel like being a guinea pig and destroy my card since i cannot monitor temps within osx. so i think the solution would be to set a stock voltage of at least 100mhz and overclock the fan speeds to compensate. it's either we do this or wait for nvidia to distribute updated drivers.

i think this idea would work for us, at least as a temp fix.

i take it no one thinks this may work? i posted this at insanleymac and got slammed by a few members. they think modding the gpu's bios will fix the issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back