Contribute
Register

I screwed up my perfectly good system, badly, please help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte X299 UD4 PRO
CPU
i9-10900X
Graphics
GTX 780 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I screwed up my perfectly good system, badly, I am desperate!

I am stuck with nothing to work with now but my Jurassic iPad (1).

I have a killer, and I do mean KILLER, Mac I built earlier this year. I purchased a legit copy of Lion to build it.

I used the Tonymac tools to get it installed and working and pretty much everything was good with the exception of iMessage, that never worked. I didn't worry too much though.

Then Mavericks came out and I upgraded to that and it's been working just fine as well.

Last week my son gave me his iPad 1 and he bought a new iPad mini and we started doing iMessage more often. We both also have iPhones but it's easier on the larger iPad screen. So I'm like "this would be nice if I could do iMessage on my hackntosh."

So I googled around and I saw posts telling people to use Chimera to fix the iMessage problem. So I downloaded it from here and extracted it. I ran the app and it apparently completed it's task. I then chose to reboot the mac.

Now it's stuck in a loop rebooting. It shows the (I think) unibeast startup as it always has before but once it does it's little count down rather than booting normally, it just does a hard reboot. Over and over.

What sucks is I have a genuine Apple wireless keyboard and trackpad so I couldn't get it to see the keyboard to interrupt this process. I found an old USB wired keyboard and I was able to break in and hit a key. A note here, I have no idea what these things do but I always see people telling others to do this so I tried it. I typed -v and hit enter. It went through a zillion lines of stuff scrolling past waaaaay too fast to read and then ultimately, it reboots, it just takes a little longer than if I do nothing at all..

I tried the -x and it just pretty much instantly reboots.

So now I can not get into my mac at all.

The thumbdrive that I used to make the sytem with, I have no frickin idea where it went.

I do know that I did make a backup image of the thumbdrive, but guess where? On the mac that won't boot. Brilliant, eh?

I wasn't thinking ahead that something like this could happen.

Now I have no way to access the data on my discs, I can't boot, I can't get the image file and without a mac to burn it to a new thumbdrive, I am in deep poop.

Is there ANYTHING I can do? I'm seriously screwed and I do not have a backup, I don't use timemachine because, well, I'm an idiot.

Is there anyway I can boot from an OLD OSX DVD, like I think I had an old 10.4 Tonymac DVD. Could I boot from it and then use disk utility to get to the thumbdrive image and reburn it so I can boot from the Mavericks thumbdrive? Also, where would disk utility have stored it? On my SSD boot/system drive? Or in Documents? I have all my user files on a hard drive but the system is installed on an SSD.

Please help me, I don't have another hackntosh available at all. I am desperate!

Thanks!

The thumbdrive that I used to make the sytem with, I have no frickin idea where it went.

You probably want to find that thumb drive. Failing that....

Find a friend who has a Mac and rebuild your thumb drive on his Mac. If you can boot from the thumb drive, you might have a chance to fix the loop booting problem if you can get access to the boot loader, which you can theoretically if you can get to via the terminal in Mac OS X installer program.

best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back