Contribute
Register

I need to take a tablet. A 7" one! (Buying advice)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
CPU
Intel i7 3770K
Graphics
GTX 670 FTW
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Lisa
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Lads and lasses, I'm not a happy camper right now.

I've been wanting an iPad for a while now, but more interested in the Mini than the full sized version. And like everyone, was very disappointed by the specs of that Mini, so decided to wait for the retina flavour.

So I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

FINALLY, the wait is over, but am frankly appalled at Apple's pricing. Okay, maybe I shouldn't be, but $500 for the 32gb version is frankly, ridiculous. I get that there's a premium for the aluminium unibody design versus the plastic bodies of it's competitors, and it has a nice 64bit processor, but... is it REALLY worth TWICE the price of the Android competitors, the Nexus 7 and the Kindle HDX? And if I'm going to blast that much money on something, is it something I'll actually use? And if so, what am I using it FOR?

Those questions really got me thinking. I've already got an iphone 5 for everyday use like checking emails and making calls, so I don't need the mobile data version (in a pinch, I can just enable the iphone as a hotspot, and use the tablet off that). I wouldn't be doing any actual work on the tablet, since I have a fully specced Macbook Pro, as well as a beast of a hackintosh for work.

So when I boiled it down, it's really a case of using the thing as an e-reader (lots of books from back home are only available in Kindle format here in the US, as opposed to the paper versions), and watching movies/listening to music when traveling (rather than lugging the laptop bag along). I'm an astronomy buff, so some apps for that would be nice when I'm out under the stars, and maybe a few games to keep me occupied. So pure and simply, entertainment.

Given that, I don't think I can justify an ipad, but wanted to get the opinion of fellow OSX/iOS users on the matter, especially given the fact that I have zero experience with Android, and every site seems to be overly partisan ("Android is a piece of @#@#@, don't touch it!" v "The ipad is just another piece of overpriced crap that the apple fanbois lap up, but anyone with a brain will avoid!") whereas this is a community that appreciates the operating system, but perhaps doesn't (overly) appreciate Apple's insistence on shoehorning us into their hardware experience. So anyone on here using an Android device? If so, does it play nicely with OSX (understand it wouldn't be as seamless as an iOS device like my iPhone)? Or should I genuinely not even consider them, and pay the extra $240 (!!) for the 32gb version of the Mini 2?

I had a terrible experience with android tablets. I had an asus, a sony and a samsung one. Buying an android tablet for me is the best way for wasting your money.
I used them in a hardcore way but they crashed too often to enjoy. User experience is very crappy and updates missing.
Sincerely I found Ipad the best one as user experience: stable, updated, supported and speedy. And I'm talking about an old ipad 2 wifi used with tethering.

For media content only use, however, android ones could have more sense, price, expandibility and root are a plus... but I wont advice them, for me android tablets are pain in the ass.

But who knows, some people like pain in the ass xD

The best 7" tablet is the Nexus 7. Great screen, fast and open. What I prefer with Android is the ability to have the tablet look and work the way I want, not be locked down.

I've had zero issues with Android tablets, I started with a 10" Motorola Xoom which is now showing it's age and just picked up the Nexus 7. Even though it's a smaller tablet the screen is so much better. And being able to run the latest version of Android Kit Kat (soon) is a plus.

Yeah, don't get me wrong - if I had $500 sitting around with nothing better to do with it, then I'd absolutely snag a retina mini. Or indeed if I felt I'd use this more than just general entertainment. In fact chances are once the novelty wore off, I wouldn't even use the thing except when traveling, since I can happily use my Macbook Pro around the house.

The only concern I have really about an Android is syncing it with my Mac/contacts/etc. And chances are that won't be much of an issue. (Surely won't be as seamless as an ipad, but am sure there's some sort of third party software that'll handle all that?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back