Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
EVGA GTX 1080; MSI RX 580 8GB
I am starting the popular G5 case mod, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to remove the top plate. I want to to take out the HDD cage and HDD fans. I also want to prep the top plate for a upper mounted PSU. If anyone knows of a tutorial I could follow, or anything really. I need help haha

Attachments

• toppsu.jpg
    toppsu.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 373
Hi
there was a great tutorial over on InsanelyMac http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... t&p=156892 with pictures but I just checked and no images available.
As you will discover, the world of Google will be your friend but you will have to dig deep.

good luck and have fun ( that's what the case mod is all about otherwise you would be just buying a case such as antec or silverstone etc and everthing would fit, but trust me I know, that would just be toooo easy.

cheers

dewby said:
I am starting the popular G5 case mod, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to remove the top plate. I want to to take out the HDD cage and HDD fans. I also want to prep the top plate for a upper mounted PSU. If anyone knows of a tutorial I could follow, or anything really. I need help haha

Turn the case upside-down and have a look at the locking mechanism from the inside. There are clips that hold the three hooks in place. You can slide those clips off in one direction after lifting their "wings" a bit.
Then you have to remove the little bolt that connects the part that has the hooks on it to the locking-lever.
Now you can take out the part with the hooks on it. IIRC it should be fairly easy now to get the plate out.

Hm, looking forward to reassembling my G5... Seems like I can't remember where everything goes... :crazy:

Thank you guys for the replies, I will try when I get home from work. Also while I have you here. Do any of you know of a good way to remove scratches from the outside of the G5 case?

dewby said:
Thank you guys for the replies, I will try when I get home from work. Also while I have you here. Do any of you know of a good way to remove scratches from the outside of the G5 case?
If they are very light and I mean very light you could lightly buff them out but if not then the only way is to re anodize the case. The coating is very thin and hard to fix if any scratches occur on the case for what ever reason.

Ok so I am hoping you have the logic-board and DVD player out.

What you want to do is either lay case in it closed side with the bottom pointing toward you or turn it upside down so you can see inside, what ever is easiest for you.

Your looking at the underside of the bar that had the tabs to latch the side panel on.
There are 6 torx screws, I forgot the size (8 maybe???) even a hex head will fit, just dont go crazy they should come loose very easy.

Here are picks of the front and read torx heads in the rail.

IMG_5839.jpg

IMG_5840.jpg

There will be the six of them, they are holding the outside of the shelf plus the plastic rod the the side locking tabs are on.

Next you want to remove the three locking tabs. Just take a small flathead screw driver and pop the rear holding clips off. Very easy to do, DO NOT use crazy force as the clips can be removed easy and you don't want to bend the **** out of them.

IMG_5857.jpg

IMG_5859.jpg

IMG_5863.jpg

IMG_5864.jpg

Now you want to remove the upper HDD fan system, look for the black screw heads on the rear of the fan on top.

IMG_5851.jpg

Now remove the three black screws on the bottom of the shelf as one is the HDD fan screw and the other two are the HDD tray screws.

IMG_5854.jpg

You can do the HDD tray fans if you want but it wont come out until the tray is removed.
Black screw heads as well.

IMG_5853.jpg

You will have to do some wiggling but it shelf will slide to the back and kinda shift out. It's a pretty tight fit but just take your time and you will get it, DO NOT be imateint and pull and tare. You will bent and brake ****.

After you should have it looking like this

IMG_3982.jpg

Good luck!

Haha I figured it out! Sorry you had to go through the trouble of taking all those photos :/
Maybe someone who was going through the same thing I was will stumble on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back