Contribute
Register

I must like to punish myself! install without mac available

Status
Not open for further replies.
your last option is something I had just considered, it seems silly for me to install onto another hdd, to get the first one working again, to wipe that anyway to put ml on.

So ill put a 60gb drive in and repeat what I just did.

step 6..? I didnt try from this point, I assumed I needed to get to step 13 (update to 10.6.8) before being able to download ml, I didnt consider it might have worked without the restart after that, ethernet was working from the very start so that was never an issue.

Oh yeah, probably might not work there, because you're still on 10.6.3 (or whatever your SL DVD is).
It has been a while since I installed SL...

Does this boot error effect mountain lion too? If so I'm going to have to think how Ill make it work, I guess keeping SL on the spare 60gb drive is my best option.

It does, but it is easy to take care of on ML because you'll have the ML Unibeast USB flash to boot.

Its all good fun, the missus thinks im mad, but then its not the first time ive spent days working at something like this lol

Same here w/ my wife. She thinks I'm crazy for spending this much time, but my goal was to learn about the Mac...

re: boot0 fix Probook Snow Leopard

Actually now that I think of it there is another option. And an obvious one at that:

- Use iBoot to boot into the SL installer (just like starting the install)
- Instead of installing, use Terminal to execute the boot0 fix as described in the boot0 guide

Assuming the USB ports work at that stage, it would work...

would that not work with the hdd in question still in the laptop anyway, without the need to connect it to usb?

I mentioned the USB ports just because you're going to have to have the boot1 file available somewhere so you can transfer it onto the stage1 boot record of the HFS+ partition.

So, yeah, it would have worked even with the original HDD in the laptop...

But if you already installed onto the 60GB drive, you're not going to run into the issue there, because it is not a 4k/AF drive...

I hadn't installed it yet, so have tried this method in terminal..

no joy for me however,

I have left the hdd in the laptop, unmounted

I'll install to the 60Gb, get my USB drive with ML on ready, then consider my options for installing that without getting the same issue, I read that somebody simply partitioned the HDD in two, then extended again after install, that may be an option to consider to avoid it a second time.

I'll install to the 60Gb, get my USB drive with ML on ready, then consider my options for installing that without getting the same issue, I read that somebody simply partitioned the HDD in two, then extended again after install, that may be an option to consider to avoid it a second time.

That sounds like a good plan. The boot0 issue is not a big deal once you have your Unibeast USB ready...

posting now from 10.6.8, so going a bit better now lol.

downloaded ML, it wants to install, so Ive just minimised that for now, just preparing the usb stick now following your ML guide, the last process was very straight forward really, your guides are very well detailed, making it easy for the novice like myself, OSX has a familiar appearance and feel to linux which is nice.

What is your suggestion in terms of the boot error, I guess its safe to say it will happen again if I attempt ML on that drive without any precaution, is there a preventative measure, or just the method of using smaller partitions (which in fairness is very easy, I'd just hate for it to still not work for me lol)

What is your suggestion in terms of the boot error, I guess its safe to say it will happen again if I attempt ML on that drive without any precaution, is there a preventative measure, or just the method of using smaller partitions (which in fairness is very easy, I'd just hate for it to still not work for me lol)

The boot0 error is covered in the guide. Just follow the instructions and it will work. It has nothing to do with partition size. It has to do with these new drives using sectors with size 4096 instead of 512... and there being a bug (only on 4k drives that are mounted) in OS X that causes failure for the 'dd' command that Chimera uses to install the stage1 (boot1) Chimera boot loader to the first 1024 bytes of the OS X HFS+ partition. It is called the boot0 error because boot0 (stage0 Chimera) outputs some errors as it is looking for stage1 boot record (boot1) record... which it can't find... because it is not there.

I'm having an issue with unibeast, I was going to post my isue in the guide thread, but think its perhaps best to keep it here in one place where it can all be cleaned / removed easily.

install OS X mountain lion is in applications.

usb flash drive formatted to a single partition Mac OS X Extended (Journaled), MBR, named Installer.

Obviously I,m on 10.6.8, unibeast I got from here > http://www.tonymacx86.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=162

I'll try a restart see if that changes anything although I logged out already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back