1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Classic
  2. LC
  3. Performa
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
..as in I wish I could do it again. I'd used Macs for a long, long time (IIci, Performa, Quadra, Quadra again and then bit of a jump to a MBP which completely put me off laptops..) and then Apple stopped making any damn desktop tower that I could afford.

At the time I was scratching my head wondering what to do and I remembered reading about 'hackintoshes' once - lo and behold there was tonymacx86 who made the process so easy! I agonised over the spec and ordered up all the parts, spending a grand and taking the risk that I'd be able to get a working Mac (I don't like Windows for day to day use.. just gaming :p).

Well, that was the first computer I'd ever built and after I'd cobbled it together (damn.. I'll never forget the creaking noise of locking that pressure plate onto the i5 750!) it was still a good 7 hours more - by this time it was about 6am I think! - before I saw that sweet intro to Mac OS. Victory, and it was the most satisfying and exciting computer thing I'd ever done!

Since then I've upgraded through a couple of OS versions (we all know the fiery hoops that can entail), learnt all about EFI, bootloaders, DSDT, BIOS settings, overclocking, dove deeper into the system with developer tools than I ever would have done on an official Mac. Then there's the hardware, working out the airflow I've added a metric f*ckton of slow running big fans to the case so it's cool and quiet, upgraded to an SSD (wow! best upgrade ever), added more RAM, Megahalems CPU cooler, modded the case and made a bracket for a laptop slotloading DVD...and so on.

And now my computer's starting to show its age a bit. Not a lot, but I know when the time comes to do a new build it'll be...business like. Sure there'll be a buzz but it won't be the magic of the first time.

Here's to hackintoshing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back