Contribute
Register

I love my Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
funny, i just craiglisted my PowerMac G5 today also. my i5 build is working so well, plus it's intel-based, i didn't mind retiring my trusty old G5.

btw, i looked up my model# from the receipt in 2005. with the 23" cinema HD display and applecare and taxes, i'd paid $4500 for the setup -- at the time, one of the fastest machines available. 3 months later, i spend another $300 for 2.5GB more of RAM.

yes, hackintosh rules.

dh22r said:
funny, i just craiglisted my PowerMac G5 today also. my i5 build is working so well, plus it's intel-based, i didn't mind retiring my trusty old G5.

btw, i looked up my model# from the receipt in 2005. with the 23" cinema HD display and applecare and taxes, i'd paid $4500 for the setup -- at the time, one of the fastest machines available. 3 months later, i spend another $300 for 2.5GB more of RAM.

yes, hackintosh rules.

I am trying to get rid of my 2 year old iMac 20" screen, 2.66Ghz Core Two Duo, 4 GB RAM and a 750 GB hard drive and not getting as much as I had hoped. I got offered $500. I might have to take it, or give eBay a try. The base iMac is around $1200 with faster CPU, better graphics, bigger screen, one year warranty, just a slightly smaller HD.
Guess it is hard to get half that for a two year old one.

Who needs overpriced macs! We got hackintoshhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I followed the guide and got mine working first time around, but without full graphics, I messed it up while trying to do a multi boot with ubuntu then had to reinstall :banghead: , which went fine with little fuss. Audio works with voodoo, graphics worked but at low res from the in built graphics and I could'nt get QE to work so I got a $40 GF8400GS 512MB and display is working perfect.

Ethernet worked OOB as did USB, no issues at all on updating to 10.6.3, just ran multibeast like the guide says and it all worked fine. :D
Thanks Tony!
:thumbup:

Woohoo!!
I loved my hackintosh so much got everything working perfect (except sleep, I dont seem to have the option of start up after power failure). I decided to install it on my older laptop.

Specs:
Lenovo SL500
Model 2746-4TM
Intel P8600 (2.4GHz)
250GB Sata, 5400 RPM
Display 1280x800 LCD
256MB nVidia GeForce 9300M (OOB)
CD/DVD drive (OOB)
Intel 802.11agn wireless (not working SL)
Bluetooth (OOB)
Modem (? dont know not worried about it has never been used)
Gigabit ethernet (OOB), finger print reader, integrated camera and mic.
Trackpad (works with voodoo kext)

It was pretty easy, definately easier than the desktop. There were no options in the bios for ACHI, it was there by default so basically I didnt have to change anything at all in bios other than boot order to USB, CD the HDD.

First step was to make copies of the recovery partitions and note the structure of the HDD, which I did using ubuntu live USB... this was just in case something went horribly wrong... once I had the images of the recovery partitions, used iBoot to fire it up and partition under GUID with two partitions (one for SL and other for vista... seeing that i paid for vista I decided I gotta use it) and install. The install seemed to take longer than usual and I got a bit worried, then the strangest thing happened, it gave Installation Succeeded!

I was a bit taken a back as it was totally unexpected, but rebooted using iboot, and set it up.

Only irksome issue is as I was trying out kexts to make the trackpad work, I lost QE/CI and I cant seem to get it to work again :banghead: but at least I know it works if only I can fix it again...
Ethernet works fine, battery monitor, bluetooth icon, all work. Only things not working are camera (its recognised but not getting images, it actually fires up but no picture), mic, volume keys and of course the fingerprint reader....

I've just installed the vista factory image using WAIK and imagex on the vista partition and so far everything seems to be working as it should in vista, except the Lenovo recovery button, which is due to missing lenovo recovery partitions.

Why would you ever go back to windows unless you had no choice??
Well i had my macbook pro 13in stolen from me back a while ago. As a result i had to go back to windows. Since i couldnt drop another 1400 again i put up with winblows very patiently. Before long i got totally fed up with the inferiority of microshaft's infinite beta test called windows, and i switched to linux. linux is also unix based but there still are things about it that arent as refined as OS X.

im really just relieved that i can finally have a real computer again.
The machine i just built and gave life to is a beast! im running this thing on full blast and its begging for more work. four cores of processing madness with hd4600 graphics will play bioshock 2 and codmw2 on full settings without a hitch. So im happy i diddnt need to get a graphics card as they are pricey! I honestly cant believe i didnt do this project sooner. Hackintosh for life!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back