Contribute
Register

I have a ton of question on a first build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Maximus XI Hero z390
CPU
i7 9700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
My wife is a graphic designer and uses a mac all day. She has a windows computer now shoved into a power mac case. Hooked up to a dell 27inch ips display 2560x1440.
Here is what I need recommendations on.
Since it is in a converted case I have to use a mATX board.

Gigabyte mATX board. (z77 with usb 3.0) I dont think they make a mATX with thunderbolt but if they do let me know.
Intel processor. I would like to use a cheap dual core sandybridge processor and upgrade later on. but I dont think that hd 3000 will output at that resolution through hdmi so would have to have dvi.

I would rather not spend money on a graphics card as there will be absolutely no gaming just adobe CS products used on it.

Also this will be my first hackintosh so I need it to be rock solid and easy install. any hints recommendations etc will be greatly appreciated.

The reason for the cheap processor is I plan on installing a 512GB samsung ssd. 32GB of ram, and cant swing everything right now. I figure swapping processor later on will be easier than cloning the drive and installing on ssd later.

Thanks in advance.

I have a Z68 Gigabyte m-atx motherboard and could not be happier. My only warning is be very careful with the USB 3 ports. Every-time I connect a device on the USB ports I get kernel panics and I am not the only one around here. I am not sure if the Z77 boards have fixed that.
The intel HD 3000 and 4000 will support the resolution but it has to come through a dual link DVI or Displayport/Thunderbolt port. No HDMI for that resolution.

Good luck

+ Core i3's are coming within one-two weeks.;)

I have to laugh and shake my head when someone says" It has to be rock solid." Well you might want to keep on walking. Many of us, through Tony's help, and the help of many others, have rock solid machines. However a lot of people due to the fact that they can't follow simple directions, or don't choose to read and dig a little on their own, have problems. So maybe experimenting a little with a hack as a second machine is the way to go as it helps a person to learn.

I have to laugh and shake my head when someone says" It has to be rock solid." Well you might want to keep on walking. Many of us, through Tony's help, and the help of many others, have rock solid machines. However a lot of people due to the fact that they can't follow simple directions, or don't choose to read and dig a little on their own, have problems. So maybe experimenting a little with a hack as a second machine is the way to go as it helps a person to learn.

Go ahead and laugh. First I am not a noob to pc building. I have built plenty of PC's as I suspect that most people who are considering building a Hackintosh have. The reason you hear "It has to be rock solid" so much is, because if it isn't, I don't want to waste money, and will just buy a Mac. My basic question is will a processor with hd 4000 support my display's resolution, what is the best mATX motherboard out there that will either have dual link dvi or display port if hd 4000 will support it? Also I need it rock solid. If it won't be then I will just buy a mac. For instance if there is no way to make usb 3.0 work than screw it I will spend the money on a mac. I always hear from people like you that building a hackintosh is "easy and more powerful", and then when someone asks for advice we get snippy little comments from you about how your so smart and elite and everyone else is a tool because they couldn't possibly be as smart as you. Guess what I don't think I will have any problems making it work. As far as following directions list a motherboard or go troll somewhere else.

+ Core i3's are coming within one-two weeks.;)

I just saw that and think that the 3225 is the way for me to go. I am pretty sure the hd 4000 will support my screen's resolution, just need to look for a gigabyte mATX motherboard with display port.

So I think that this will be my build.
Hacked g5 case (already done)
Intel core i3 3225
GIGABYTE GA-Q77M-D2H
San Disk Extreme 512gb ssd.
2 wd red 1TB hd's
32 gig Corsair ram

Just a couple question will the usb 3.0 work properly with Mountain Lion? and will the ssd operate at sata III speeds? Also thank you for your help.

I just saw that and think that the 3225 is the way for me to go. I am pretty sure the hd 4000 will support my screen's resolution, just need to look for a gigabyte mATX motherboard with display port.

So I think that this will be my build.
Hacked g5 case (already done)
Intel core i3 3225
GIGABYTE GA-Q77M-D2H
San Disk Extreme 512gb ssd.
2 wd red 1TB hd's
32 gig Corsair ram

Just a couple question will the usb 3.0 work properly with Mountain Lion? and will the ssd operate at sata III speeds? Also thank you for your help.

You must use the DisplayPort output on that motherboard to support a resolution higher than 1920x1200, as you are yourself aware.

USB3 on that motherboard should work with Mountain Lion, but I can't be sure. You will have to see for yourself if it works well enough for you (as it is not a real Mac).

It is not strange to encounter installation and other problems using a hacktinosh (even if you have experience), so in that sense it may not be "rock solid" for you. There is no way to know if the system is "rock solid" enough for you to use without actually trying it. On this site we recommend known compatible hardware so that it should work for most people but there is no guarantee you won't have problems. So be prepared for any problems you may encounter.

Go ahead and laugh. First I am not a noob to pc building. I have built plenty of PC's as I suspect that most people who are considering building a Hackintosh have. The reason you hear "It has to be rock solid" so much is, because if it isn't, I don't want to waste money, and will just buy a Mac. My basic question is will a processor with hd 4000 support my display's resolution, what is the best mATX motherboard out there that will either have dual link dvi or display port if hd 4000 will support it? Also I need it rock solid. If it won't be then I will just buy a mac. For instance if there is no way to make usb 3.0 work than screw it I will spend the money on a mac. I always hear from people like you that building a hackintosh is "easy and more powerful", and then when someone asks for advice we get snippy little comments from you about how your so smart and elite and everyone else is a tool because they couldn't possibly be as smart as you. Guess what I don't think I will have any problems making it work. As far as following directions list a motherboard or go troll somewhere else.

I am sorry you were right, my answer was poor. If you use the recommended parts your build will be rock solid.... you follow this installation guide it will be rock solid.....http://www.tonymacx86.com/139-updated-mountain-lion-installation-guide-now-available.html..... let us know how it goes. If you use hardware other than those recommended tell us what changes you made to make things work so the community can learn from your build. Thank you and good luck.

Hi,

I'm pretty new to this, but i wanted to chime in. I just built (or am in the process of building, rather) a system with a GA-Q77M-D2H motherboard. Most everything worked well without much effort, but audio over HDMI does not work, and for me that's not a small problem. I've been trying to puzzle my way through some of the tutorials on getting it working, but I've spent more than 10 hours so far without success.

I could be doing something stupid, but I've been reading everything I could along the way, so who know...

good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back