Contribute
Register

I have a GTX 1080 but don't need to game, which graphics driver do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI B150 PC Mate
CPU
Intel Skylake i7-6700
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 1080 / Intel HD 530
I dont need the hackintosh for gaming, I just need it for music production purposes and I know I cant install mac with a 1080. Is there an alternative or a way around this?

Thanks

I am in the same boat. Got a GTX1070. But you can use the iGPU in your processor.

Since you have the i7-6700 you can probably use the iGPU. This means you can boot using nv_disable=1 to disable the GTX1080.
You do need to connect your monitor(s) to the motherboard output, NOT the videocard. With your motherboard this would be the DVI port. I don't know for sure if VGA is supported, so that would mean you can only connect 1 monitor probably.

In the BIOS you need to set the Graphics from PCIe or PCI to iGPU. For the rest you can follow the guides available on the site to install Sierra.

Good luck!

EDIT: I now see it also has HDMI. So you could probably use the HDMI port and the DVI port for dual display

Do you think I will be able to interchange easily between my windows OS with gtx 1080 and the mac os with integrated graphics card? or will a dual boot system be too complicated?

Dual Boot is not very complicated, at least if you have two harddrives (or SSDs) one for Mac, one for Win.
With Clover Setting nv_disable=1 this will be pretty easy, although you will have to switch the port on your monitor when switching from mac to win or other way around.
When you connect just on the ports on the mainboard windows will also use just the integrated GPU of your processor.

It's not really complex, but sometimes windows will overwrite some part in the EFI Partition and Mac won't start afterwards.
If you use two separate drives it is just easier.

To make Dual Boot happen you need to first format the drive as HFS+ using Disk Utility from Mac.
There you add a second partition which has to use MS_DOS.
Then you boot the Windows installer (You have to boot the installer in UEFI Mode, otherwise it won't work).
In the Windows Installer you have to find the MS_DOS Partition, delete it, and use the new available free space to create a new partition.
Then install windows on this partition.
After you have done this you install Mac on the fist partition, install clover and you should be done.

When your System is working you have to always switch from Mainboard Port to Graphics Card Port and back, when you want to boot Mac or Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back