Contribute
Register

I got Hackintosh running on GA-P55A-UD3 - thanks Tony!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Just wanted to say thanks for putting up the blog and forum. I was all set to buy an older generation 775 series motherboard thinking i5 series of Intel chips weren't supported that well in the Hackintosh community, that is until I found your blog. I'm much happier that I could buy a current gen CPU and motherboard rather than older technology.

I built a new rig, a i5 750 with Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 with 4 gigs of Kingston 1600 DDR3 RAM and Nvidia GeForce 9600GT videocard and successfully running Snow Leopard. I got it working on the first try using Tony's BootCD method.

The only part I got stuck during the install was not realizing I had to press "enter" to start the Snow Leopard installation of the Retail DVD, as I thought pressing F5 in Tony's bootloader application, after putting in the Snow Leopard DVD in my DVD reader, was all I had to do. Stupid me.

Also I had to change the AHCI in two places instead of one, in my BIOS, on the Integrated Peripherals menu page, PCH SATA Control Mode AND GSATA Ctrl Mode need to be set to AHCI. I also remembered to set the HPET setting to 64-bit

Everything worked, as I used the GA-P55A-UD3 DSDT during installation. My videocard worked perfectally. Only thing not working was the audio but I found your blog post about enabling HDEF audio on P55 boards, and with the help of styro, a fellow board member here, and reading some comments, particularly the one from "rushko", I installed the proper kexts files for my audio chipset, the ALC888. I used the AppleHDA and HDAEnabler.kext files. I did not use the vanilla AppleHDA kext that was posted for UD3R users. I used the original one from the HDEF pack.

One question, which bios was used for the GA-P55A-UD3 DSDT from the DSDT database? I later updated my bios to the latest bios, F5 bios, after the install, but everything is still working. Should I make a new DSDT? Not sure how to do that although I've skimmed your custom DSDT blog article. Do I need to worry about it?

Next thing I have to do is work on seeing if sleep works, as I haven't tested that thoroughly, but I'll make another post about that in the post-installation forum.

Dear sir,

I am using the same board GA-P55A-UD3. My sound card device was missing. Can you post me the link of "rushko" solution?

Before you post I could not find any audio device, but after read your post, I rename the Legacy_ALC88B.kext to ALC888B.kext and install using the Kext Helper.. Kext Utility, Disk utility--fix premission

I can only see the Audio device in About this Mac

Device ID : 0x1458A002
Audio ID 887
Ava liable Devices:
Line out..
External Microphone...
External Microphone...
Headphone..
S/P-DIF Out..
S/P-DIF In..

But I could not find the output device in
Preference.. Sound.. Output... Say No output devices found.

Thank you very much....

PS. Tony.. Do you have any idea?

Yep, our motherboard, the GA-P55A-UD3 uses ALC888 and not ALC888B, which is what Tony's motherboard uses. So you'll have to delete the "Legacy_ALC88B.kext".

I got the kexts from Tony's blog article here:
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/12/ ... n-p55.html

Download the ALC888 files that Tony links to (under the section marked "LINKS TO WORKING HDEF KEXTS".

What you want are the AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext, which are in the files Tony provided.

Here's what stryo said in another thread that helped me (I hope you don't mind stryo for pasting your text).
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=92

styro said...

I had the same problem, make sure that you don't have the LegacyHDA.kext in Extra/Extensions folder at the root of SnowLeopard. Just use AppleHDA.kext & HDAEnable.kext. Install w/ Kext Helper b7, drag Extra/Extensions & System/Library/Extensions thru Kext Utility, repair permissions in disk utility & restart. Thats what I did. Took me awhile trying different kext combos. Good Luck.

And here's what "rushko" said in the comments (near the bottom) of TonyMac's HDEF for P55 blog post.
http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/12/ ... n-p55.html
rushko said...
Hi,

I got my sound working when I removed the legacyHDA_ALC888.kext from Extra/Extensions folder, is it ok? I replaced the AppleHDA.kext and HDAenabler.kext i System/Library/Extensions as sugested. DSDT is for my board, GB P55 UD3. Everything was ok after update to 10.6.2, I had info for Audio(built in) but no audio output at all. I replaced AppleHDA.kext but still no output thou the info is there in Sys Profiler. Anyway, the system is working and i got sound working too, so thank you Tony for this great tutorial and all your effort!

January 10, 2010 11:32 AM

I hope that helps. It was really easy. You might need a restart in order for sound to work after you installed the extensions via kext helper and kext utility (and after you repair permissions with Disk Utility).

My system does have sound now.

May I report my work.

1. delete all LegacyHDA driver in /Extra/Extension
2. delete AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext in /System/Libarary/Extension
3. Using Kext Utility to remove the driver cache
4. Using Disk Utility to repair the permission

5. Install the Tony AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler.kext given to ALC888 using Kext Helper Utility
6. Using Kext Utility to remove the driver cache
7. Using Disk Utility to repair the permission
8. Reboot :wave:

PS. Select different Line out for different jack you inserted. For me, I inserted into the green jack and select the first line out device.

To test it. You may click / double click on the spinner.

Glad you got audio working. :D

BTW, is sleep working for you too? I had a chance to check since I'm installing a new PSU.

:?: I need some help. I have a similar setup (GA-P55A-UD3 / i7 / 4GB RAM / Hitachi 1TB SATA / Nvidia Quadro 5800).

I changed the PCH SATA Control Mode AND GSATA Ctrl Mode in the Bios and I'm using the iBoot method to run Snow Leopard. After I insert the retail disk, I get as far as the white screen with the grey Apple logo and after a few minutes, it gives me a circle with a slash through it and doesn't go any further. (See photo) Can anyone advise?

Thanks,

Attachments

• machelp.jpg
    machelp.jpg
    372.1 KB · Views: 1,025
nice post. i have the same mobo but i have ati sapphire radeon hd 4670 for my video card. where do you get the kext files for this mobo?

stevek said:
:?: I need some help. I have a similar setup (GA-P55A-UD3 / i7 / 4GB RAM / Hitachi 1TB SATA / Nvidia Quadro 5800).

I changed the PCH SATA Control Mode AND GSATA Ctrl Mode in the Bios and I'm using the iBoot method to run Snow Leopard. After I insert the retail disk, I get as far as the white screen with the grey Apple logo and after a few minutes, it gives me a circle with a slash through it and doesn't go any further. (See photo) Can anyone advise?

Thanks,

dbl-chk your sata mode=AHCI. it happened to me just today as i'd upgraded to bios F11 and it defaulted back to IDE mode.

I checked the PCH SATA Control Mode AND GSATA Ctrl Mode and they are both set to AHCI but still no luck. Any other ideas? The retail disk I am using is 10.6.3 and I have tried iBoot Nvidia and iBoot Supported with and without safe mode. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back