Contribute
Register

I am seeking some advice on a Dual boot system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks alot Jester969 you have been so very helpful, much appreciated.

My final computer component arrived today and I now have Windows 7 on one hard drive and OSX Lion on the other.I installed Lion exactly how it is suggested with Uni beast and also using multibeast at the end. I had to add a kext for the internet to work and I dont have sound but hard a USB sound dongle coming anyday.

I have made the Lion hard drive the 1st boot, which is marked UEFI in red in my gigabyte bios. My windows HD is the 2nd boot.
When I switch on the computer though it seems to miss the Lion drive altogether despite me trying several times with multibeast to install a bootloader. If left it will just go straight into booting Windows 7.
If I hit F12 and select the Lion drive marked with UEFI then it does the same thing and loads windows 7. If I select the Lion drive marked just as sata then it will boot into my Lion installation.

Any help to get the bootloader working to finalise this project would be very much appreciated!

tsddave said:
If I hit F12 and select the Lion drive marked with UEFI then it does the same thing and loads windows 7. If I select the Lion drive marked just as sata then it will boot into my Lion installation.

Any help to get the bootloader working to finalise this project would be very much appreciated!
It should show up twice - once as a SATA drive and once as a UEFI drive. Pick the SATA drive. The UEFI shows up because there is an EFI partition at the start of the OS X drive, but there is nothing there to boot from as the partition is empty.

Thanks for your reply.
Since posting I have found more menus within the bios that allow me to select my Lion HD as SATA. The thing is though when I do this it just goes straight into Lion OS and there is still no bootloader!

Sounds simple, but sometimes you have to re-install Chimera. Try running Multibeast again with just Chimera and Repair Permissions selected and make sure your Lion drive is the target.

Thanks for your help :)

I now have it installed after several more attempts!

The problem now is that it just flashes up on the screen for an instant and then loads my lion installation without me doing anything.

I installed it with the newly updated multibeast and added fix permissions.

Heh getting mac osx lion installed was a piece of cake thanks to the tools here but this bootloader is a real pain!

Anyone any ideas on how to get this working fully? :p
Any help much appreciated!

tsddave said:
Thanks for your help :)
The problem now is that it just flashes up on the screen for an instant and then loads my lion installation without me doing anything.
If the Chimera screen flashes by before you can hit a key to select an OS, you have options.
1. edit org.chameleon.boot.plist time out key to give you more time or to stop the boot altogether and let you select OS to boot (same as Instant Menu).

<key>timeout</key>
<string>2</string>

a. change the 2 to a larger number (represents seconds) or
b. change the 2 to 0 (zero) makes it the same as Instant Menu.

2. run MultiBeast and install Instant Menu.

Option 1a will still automatically boot OS X as the default OS after the time out period if you do nothing.
Option 1b or 2 will stop the boot process and wait for you to select which OS you want and hit enter to continue the boot.

Great! I now have the bootloader working!
Thank you very much for the help, its very much appreciated :)

I have also themed it and set the correct resolution.

Love my new Mac Lion!
This forum and it's devs are perfect! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back