CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
EVGA GTX GeForce 650
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This past week, our house flooded from Hurrican Irma. We evacuated, but didn't have room to take everything we wanted. We didn't have room for our computers, but we did pull the harddrives and carry them separately. While we were gone, our house took on four inches of water. The computers (sans HDs) were elevated onto the kitchen table, but they were in the same room as a lot of really nasty water, which was, I understand, salt water. The water stayed 24 hours or less.

Question: would that much and that type of moisture in the air damage the Motherboard, video card, etc? Any idea? So far this one, at least, seems to be working, but we were told that some of our appiances that got soaked would appear to work for a week or two and then give out a week or two later. Is that a danger here?

If the computers did not come in direct contact with the water then I don't think there should be any concern. My brother had a laptop that stopped working after almost a year due to high humidity while he was studying in the Caribbean. So less than 24 hours should not be an issue IMO.

This past week, our house flooded from Hurrican Irma. We evacuated, but didn't have room to take everything we wanted. We didn't have room for our computers, but we did pull the harddrives and carry them separately. While we were gone, our house took on four inches of water. The computers (sans HDs) were elevated onto the kitchen table, but they were in the same room as a lot of really nasty water, which was, I understand, salt water. The water stayed 24 hours or less.

Question: would that much and that type of moisture in the air damage the Motherboard, video card, etc? Any idea? So far this one, at least, seems to be working, but we were told that some of our appiances that got soaked would appear to work for a week or two and then give out a week or two later. Is that a danger here?
Seal them in a plastic bag with copious quantities of crystal kitty litter for about three days.

Seal them in a plastic bag with copious quantities of crystal kitty litter for about three days.

The last time I tried that, the cats mistook my case for the litterbox. They were really ticked when I pointed out their mistake. (It probably didn't help that one of my kids was trying to play Hearthstone with some of the chunks of kitty litter.)

If the computers did not come in direct contact with the water then I don't think there should be any concern. My brother had a laptop that stopped working after almost a year due to high humidity while he was studying in the Caribbean. So less than 24 hours should not be an issue IMO.
Thank you!!

I wouldn't even attempt to turn on a machine or anything that has moisture or any damp. Personally I would dry it out before applying any kind of Power. A lot of people over here in the UK just throw there water damaged stuff in a oven at 200c.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back