Contribute
Register

HS Continuity for IOGear GBU521 on E6230?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Latitude E6230 (Clover UEFI)
CPU
i7-3520M (QM77)
Graphics
HD 4000 (1366x768)
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I recently bought an IOGear GBU521 USB Bluetooth dongle for my Dell Latitude E6230. The specs are: i7-3520m (2c4t) Dell 089JM2 Mobo (QM77) 16GB DDR3 RAM (1600 MHz), and a DW1510 (Dell/Broadcom). I have tried this "continuity activation tool (https://github.com/dokterdok/Continuity-Activation-Tool) ," hoping it would work, however, after trying out both the beta and the stable, each one gave me a kernel panic. I haven't captured a log because I have not had access to my hard drive after each reboot without installing and restoring from a backup, however my Clover folder is attached.
The only real Continuity features I care about are AirDrop and Handoff, and I don't need auto unlock, so if anyone could help me get those working on my setup, that would be great.
Thanks in advance, Edtlogin
:)

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 72
I recently bought an IOGear GBU521 USB Bluetooth dongle for my Dell Latitude E6230. The specs are: i7-3520m (2c4t) Dell 089JM2 Mobo (QM77) 16GB DDR3 RAM (1600 MHz), and a DW1510 (Dell/Broadcom). I have tried this "continuity activation tool (https://github.com/dokterdok/Continuity-Activation-Tool) ," hoping it would work, however, after trying out both the beta and the stable, each one gave me a kernel panic. I haven't captured a log because I have not had access to my hard drive after each reboot without installing and restoring from a backup, however my Clover folder is attached.
The only real Continuity features I care about are AirDrop and Handoff, and I don't need auto unlock, so if anyone could help me get those working on my setup, that would be great.
Thanks in advance, Edtlogin
:)

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

I forgot about problem reporting, here you go.

Attachments

• RehabMan.zip
    18.8 KB · Views: 62
  • HackBook.ioreg
    5 MB · Views: 156
  • kextstat.txt
    3.1 KB · Views: 152
  • touch.txt
    606 bytes · Views: 170
  • CLOVER.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 71
What is the BrcmPatchRAM supposed to do? Bluetooth is working fine, it's just continuity features that aren't working. I downloaded the latest BrcmPatchRAM from Bitbucket and downloaded Kextbeast and installed it to SLE, but it didn't do anything (noticeable). How will it enable Continuity features?
EDIT: Problem Reporting files attached

Attachments

• debug_17582.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:
What is the BrcmPatchRAM supposed to do? Bluetooth is working fine, it's just continuity features that aren't working. I downloaded the latest BrcmPatchRAM from Bitbucket and downloaded Kextbeast and installed it to SLE, but it didn't do anything (noticeable). How will it enable Continuity features?

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Problem Reporting files attached to previous post.

EDIT: Problem Reporting files attached

You should not have installed BrcmPatchRAM.kext. As per README, It is for 10.10 and earlier. Also, remove BrcmFirmwareData.kext, it and BrcmFirmwareRepo.kext are mutually exclusive.

Also, all kexts should be installed to the system volume.
Read post #2 of the guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-booting-the-os-x-installer-on-laptops-with-clover.148093/

Handoff has never been reliable on non-Apple hardware and gets worse each release (might have worked ok in Yosemite).

At this point, I've given up on the BT dongle idea. I will probably return it to the seller or use it in an old computer.
I am thinking about replacing the BT dongle with a Broadcom BCM94331CD and using the unused WWAN port for it (with an adapter). Would this fix the AirDrop and Handoff issues, or would it do nothing?
(If Problem Reporting files are needed, use the files from my first post, as I have restored from a backup of right after I took those files)

At this point, I've given up on the BT dongle idea. I will probably return it to the seller or use it in an old computer.
I am thinking about replacing the BT dongle with a Broadcom BCM94331CD and using the unused WWAN port for it (with an adapter). Would this fix the AirDrop and Handoff issues, or would it do nothing?
(If Problem Reporting files are needed, use the files from my first post, as I have restored from a backup of right after I took those files)

Keep in mind most WWAN ports cannot be used for WLAN adapters. Many of them have BIOS whitelists or have only limited connections (active pins are those required only for USB).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back