Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Sabertooth X58
CPU
i7-970
Graphics
GTX 550 Ti
Asus sabertooth X58 Mountain Lion

After updating to mountain lion i keep getting kernel panics when trying to boot saying 'No HPETs availible'. i need to enable HPET on my motherboard but there is no option in the bios to do so. anyone know of another way?

Hardware Specs:

Motherboard - Asus Sabertooth X58
CPU: Intel I7 970 Hexacore
Graphics: Asus NVidia GTX 550Ti
Primary Drive: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD
Secondary Drive: WD 1TB
RAM: 16GB 1600 MHZ G.Skill Ripjaws

which motherboard is this

this might have something to do with the AppleACPIPlatform.kext issue that asus x58 boards have post 10.7.4
search for more info

this might have something to do with the AppleACPIPlatform.kext issue that asus x58 boards have post 10.7.4
search for more info

Well i did have kernel panics after trying to update to 10.7.4 and i searched but could not for the life in me find a solution for that either. i went back to 10.7.3 which works perfect, until i try to update to mountain lion. luckily i cloned my hard drive just before i upgraded. but i dont wanna go back there yet..

i have windows 7 on he same harddrive. is there a way i can use windows to enable HPETs on my mobo?

hpet (aka high precision event timer) is most likely enabled by default in your bios.

seeing as you had kp's when updated to 7.4, and also have kp's on ml, its the AppleACPIPlatform issue
use the search.
theres long threads about this issue

hpet (aka high precision event timer) is most likely enabled by default in your bios.

seeing as you had kp's when updated to 7.4, and also have kp's on ml, its the AppleACPIPlatform issue
use the search.
theres long threads about this issue

ive been using the search for hours. and i read that it is Disabled by default

not about the issue you need to be searching for

if hpet was disabled, you wouldnt be able to boot into >10.7.3

not about the issue you need to be searching for

if hpet was disabled, you wouldnt be able to boot into >10.7.3

i am searching for everything. It was Beelzbozo on this forum that said it is disabled by default

''If you extract a DSDT from your system, you will see the string in there and can edit it if need be, however some ASUS motherboards don't have the option to turn High Precision Event Timer (HPET) on or off in bios so you may or may not see it.

My P7P55D doesn't show it in bios but it is in the DSDT.

It's typically disabled by default.''

Link here : http://www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leop...3-whats-asus-equilavent-name-hpet-64-bit.html

but as you said im now searching for the AppleACPIPlatform issue that your talking about. i see long threads about this but no solution. i mean how do even get rid of kexts when i cant boot? can i go into the partition through windows and delete the kext? or should i replace it with another kext? im completley lost here

What guide are you using?

The bios in the Sabertooth doesn't allow you to choose hpet because its auto on that board.
Your issue can be solved with the 10.7.4 update by running the fix in Multibeast.

here is a simple guide on the Sabertooth X58 set up, it starts at Snow Leo but the Bios is the key.
Dual Boot Sabertooth X58 Hackintosh Guide – i7-950 + GTX-460 [UPDATE x6] | JeffSprotberry.com

here is the bios explanation
ASUS Sabertooth X58 Motherboard Performance Review - The ASUS Sabertooth X58 Motherboard BIOS - Legit Reviews

and here is the 10.7.4 fix
tonymacx86 Blog: MultiBeast 4.6 Update
Finally, we've added the patched 10.6.8 AppleACPIPlatform Rollback, which prevents kernel panics on 10.7.4 when using ASUS X58 motherboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back