Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP ZBook 17 G1
CPU
Intel Core i7-4940MX
Graphics
Intel HD 4600 / AMD FirePro M6100
Hi RehabMan,
I know dGPU and external display is probably not on your priority list (probably because there's more urgent things to get working first) but I thought this might be interesting for people looking for high end laptops with great features and connectivity:

I'm using a HP ZBook 17 with Intel HD 4600 graphics and recently added a AMD FirePro M6100. Surprisingly, the card works OOB with Clover and El Capitan --with a few caveats that is. I'm testing it with dual monitor setup (internal + DP):
Hybrid Graphics disabled (AMD only):
-wake from sleep doesn't work (seems to be a known issue in El Capitan with AMD cards)
-internal display shows some color artifacts (like bad JPG) even though QE/CI is working. External DP monitor seems fine
-laptop just turns off when GPU is under heavy load. Tested with StarCraft2 and laptop will simply shut down(!) after a few seconds of the game running
Hybrid Graphics enabled (Intel HD + AMD):
-internal display works fine (no color artifacts) but external DP monitor is flickering heavily as soon as the mouse is moved.

Do you have any pointers for what could be causing these problems? I'm especially surprised about the color artifacts (hybrid off) and by the external display flickering (hybrid on).
I'm attaching both IORegs as reference.
Thanks!

Attachments

• ZBook17 Graphics.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 207
Moved to separate thread.

I have no experience with AMD graphics. No similar hardware here, no plans to purchase any.

Moved to separate thread.

I have no experience with AMD graphics. No similar hardware here, no plans to purchase any.
OK thanks. I guess I was just wondering if any of this rang a bell or if you had an idea where to start looking since you know more about hackintosh laptops than anybody.

OK thanks. I guess I was just wondering if any of this rang a bell or if you had an idea where to start looking since you know more about hackintosh laptops than anybody.

Problem is I know next to nothing about discrete nVidia and Radeon.

Those graphics chips don't interest me on laptops (and not really desktops either).

do you think it worth to try with a Dell branded AMD firepro m6000? thanks
A Dell branded card probably needs to be flashed to replace the VBIOS with a HP BIOS... I guess it's possible but it might be more pain than it's worth. I also don't know for sure if a M6000 would work. My M6100 is detected with the device ID 6646 which is present in AMD6000Controller.kext --so I don't know how that would work out with the M6000 card.

do you think it worth to try with a Dell branded AMD firepro m6000? thanks
Oh, in case you're looking to buy a FirePro card, I know they are a little hard to find... It can take a while until one pops up on eBay. But there's a store called Blairsvilletech (google it) that sells them and has a lot of parts for ZBook. The other option is to find an agent/seller that will get the card for you from taobao and ship it to you (that's what I did). Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back