Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys, I'm also working to install Yosmite on an HP Z400 system. I've updated the bios to 3.57 as well thanks to the other threads on this machine.

I think I'm missing a step since I'm also stuck at the waiting for root device message in verbose bootup, here is what I have done:

1. Created USB with Yosmite and Unibeast. Multibeast is on stick as well.

2. Booted off USB with F9 key and could only get to the install screen of Yosmite with the following "-x -v GraphicsEnabler=Yes". Mouse and keyboard seemed to work fine on USB at all times.

3. Realized same issue as other guys that internal drives would not be detected so I used an external USB drive case and put internal drive in external USB.

4. Now when booting into Safe Mode Mavericks install, disk util saw the external drive and I was able to format it for Ext. Jour. (GUID).

5. Ran Yosmite install fine onto external USB HDD.

6. Kept USB stick in there, booted and selected my partition from the Chimera menu but it just black screens at a certain point of the Apple Loading Logo screen (progress bar).

7. With the "-x -v GraphicsEnabler=Yes" options I at least see the full boot before it keeps repeating the message about waiting for root device.

Any tips or tricks on this that might be causing the waiting for Root Device?

Thanks

Well my guess is that the boot can not find the external hard drive at some point in the process.

I would shut it down and reinstall the hard drive back into the system, attached to the first SATA port. Also have it as the only drive in the system. Then reboot from your installer USB and select your newly installed partition, use the same boot arguments used in the install.

Report back if it fails to boot through to the account setup screen.

Good modding,
neil

Hmm, things got a little more interesting. Just posting what I've found, still troubleshooting and trying to find a pattern.

Tried to boot from USB Stick this time to re-install, it still gives the waiting for root device with external USB HDD that has already been installed once (it does show up in the boot menu as a device to choose) or without.

Setup system exactly as it was when I first successfully installed and still getting waiting for root so I'm back to square one, can't even get the USB Install to run.

---

So now with no harddrives installed anywhere and just the USB stick, I get all the way in and end up with "Waiting for Root Device".

So this is new lol... used to be able to get to the install menu.

Will start trying command line options and re-make the USB if required.

Cheers

Hi, i´m working exactly in the same system and about a week ahead of you.

That happen because Z400 do not have a "real" AHCI i choose AHCI+RAID in bios but still having problems with detecting SATA Drives.
I could detected installing LegacyAppleAHCIPortIntelICHx.kext in the usb
later i have several problems and finish with a dsdt and a couple of touching in Multibeast.

After run Multibeast you have to apply the kext LegacyAppleAHCIPortIntelICHx.kext to the sata drive.

Everything works but sound, I ended using a sound usb very cheap but detected without problems. The sound system of my Z400 is a ACL1200 or ACL888 Vendor 8086 and device 3a3e. Any help will be appreciated

The most weird thing is when i updated again i have the "still waiting for root device" even after run again multibeast. so i have to install again from scratch and update to 10.10.1 and then run multibeast, the security update never works, again i have to install from scrach.:banghead:

Sorry for my english .

here you have the files i used
View attachment Z400 files.zip

Hey,

I had the same Problem 2 Years ago when I tried to install Lion on my Z400. As I remember the Problem with the Z400 is that the Intel ICH10R Chipset on this Machine the has another PCI Dev ID than on Standard Mainboards. So I changed the PC Dev ID Code in the kext and it worked like a charm.

Hope that helps, I'm going to try installing Yosemite these Days. Then I will provide more Information.

Cheers

Hey,

I had the same Problem 2 Years ago when I tried to install Lion on my Z400. As I remember the Problem with the Z400 is that the Intel ICH10R Chipset on this Machine the has another PCI Dev ID than on Standard Mainboards. So I changed the PC Dev ID Code in the kext and it worked like a charm.

Hope that helps, I'm going to try installing Yosemite these Days. Then I will provide more Information.

Cheers

Did you get Yosemite working on your Z400? I'm trying to get it to work on my machine, but getting the Waiting for Root Device, and am unable to get past it no matter what.

Is your HP Z400 the 6 slots model? Do you have the latest BIOS version (3.57)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back