Graphics
nVidia GeForce GT 740 SC
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm getting much closer to a working system now. The biggest change I made a while back was to go with the nVidia GT 740 card. This gave me compatibility and performance at a reasonable price.

Even more recently, I changed to E5450 CPUs due to their lower power consumption. The X5450s just ran too hot. It turns out the stepping values were also mismatched which caused Mountain Lion to panic. Mavericks did not appear to be bothered by that.

Now, however, I am having stability problems. Both Mountain Lion and Mavericks systems will freeze randomly or boot up with a cpu 5 kernel panic.

My primary system is Mavericks, but I dabble with Mountain Lion still. I used the latest Unibeast with the Apple Mavericks 10.9.5 installer. The install goes smoothly for the most part. I add the necessary kexts (IOPCIfamily.kext and AppleACPIPlatform.kext rollbacks), BCM5722D Ethernet, & HDA audio.

When I use the USB installer to boot the system, everything is stable.

I used Multibeast 6.5.1 to install the bootloader, FakeSMC, and system definition for MacPro3,1. I am careful not to install anything I do not need.

When booting from the bootloader, I lose system stability. Something is different on the USB bootloader and I'm not sure what it is. I do know the the FakeSMC is an older version than the one that Multibeast installs.

Can anyone tell me what release version is on the Unibeast Mavericks installer? When I use kext wizard to see what kexts are "loaded", it said FakeSMC (1307), but since I installed FakeSMC 6.9.1315 from Multibeast, it now says FakeSMC (1315) but I also have plugins with that. I suppose none of this matters since the USB boot will still load what is in S/L/E anyway.

What else in the USB doing or not doing that makes my system stable??

No ideas on this, eh? There's gotta be something on the USB boot drive.....

Well, if no one can pinpoint the problem, can someone at least let me know how I can access the hidden files on the Unibeast USB installer? I realize this is just a Mac OS X question. Perhaps I just need to open a terminal window and navigate to the drive?

can someone at least let me know how I can access the hidden files on the Unibeast USB installer?

in Terminal, assuming your Installer is named 'Installer'
Code:
sudo chflags -R nohidden /Volumes/Installer/System
sudo chflags -R nohidden /Volumes/Installer/Extra

Thanks! I ended up convincing my lazy butt to Google it and found the same info. :)

Unfortunately, I am having more problems now after trying to move over some of the now un-hidden files to my boot drive. I am going to just start from scratch again and take it one item at a time.

in Terminal, assuming your Installer is named 'Installer'
Code:
sudo chflags -R nohidden /Volumes/Installer/System
sudo chflags -R nohidden /Volumes/Installer/Extra

Okay, I believe I found it!

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

Installed this kext on my system drive and now there are no more lockups.

This is yet one more reason I would prefer to have a DSDT, but even with the guides I have read, I'm still lost on how to make one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back