Contribute
Register

HP ProBook 4730s Best Mountain Lion USB Installer Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay I understand. Thanks for there answer.
No I'm not a game player, but yes sometimes video-card needed in Windows.
I like to work with photos, but in that case main thing for Lightroom is CPU and Ram as I understand on my PC.
But I need mac os for Xcode working and for development. Yep maybe i5 will be better, but it's difficult to find it in my country, only i3 and i7 there are.

I'm using xcode just fine with the i3. There are also some who have upgrade the CPU after the fact, so that is always an option if you find you really need it. For my use, the i3 is enough.

And what about Fusion? Can we install it into laptop, after changing dvd to ssd? Have someone install something like that in Hackintosh?
I read topic http://habrahabr.ru/post/159147/ and interested in that theme. I think it can increase productivity as much.

I've posted this elsewhere and if you do a search you will probably find it, but I just don't think Fusion is all that interesting. Buy a big enough SSD for your work and install that (I have 256GB). Or get a HDD caddy for the optical drive slot, and have an extra HDD (or SSD) there.

You get better performance and are better able to optimize it if you decide where to store the various bits...

What about 4740s, will be difficult to install ML on it? Bacause this model are now everywhere - I can found many proposes for it, but for 4730s it's only a few.

I found only 2 differences between then:

ProBook 4730s Intel HM65 AMD Radeon HD 6490, 1GB
HP ProBook 4740s Intel HM76 AMD Radeon HD 7650М, 2GB DDR3​

Can be chipset a big problem for installing? In other thing they seems the same.

There are people on this forum who have managed to get 4x40s working. Big thing is the DSDT and its patches is going to be different, and so far I don't see a definitive guide for creating it. Of course, I can't do it, as I don't have the hardware. But most of the other stuff in the Probook installer is useable with the 4x40s series.

Also, even the Atheros WiFi card that 4x40s series comes with is not supported on OS X, so you will have to find a replacement (ie. same Atheros card that is in the 4x30s -- specifics on model are covered in the FAQ).

NYSOS,

1. Did that screen replacement work for you? I just bought a 4730 almost identical to yours and would like a higher resolution screen.

2. My 4730 has the 2630QM CPU instead of your 2670QM. I have the 6490m video. Are there detailed instructions anywhere on making a hackintosh for this machine?

Thanks.
joe at ragosta dot com

I have another question. I want to dual boot - be able to run Mountain Lion on my HP 4730, but also switch to Windows (and, ideally, run Windows from Parallels). I see a couple of options - what's the best way to do this?

1. Install OS X on the drive taking up all the space and then use Boot Camp to create the Windows partition.

2. Format the drive with Disk Utility and making NTFS and HFS+ partitions and MBR. OS X doesn't like running off of MBR, but I believe I read there is a way to make it work.

3. Format the drive with Disk Utility and make NTFS and HFS+ partitions using GUID. Might have problems getting Windows to work.

So which one should I choose?

NYSOS,

2. My 4730 has the 2630QM CPU instead of your 2670QM. I have the 6490m video. Are there detailed instructions anywhere on making a hackintosh for this machine?

Thanks.
joe at ragosta dot com

See the sticky "guide" post at the top of this forum.

I have another question. I want to dual boot - be able to run Mountain Lion on my HP 4730, but also switch to Windows (and, ideally, run Windows from Parallels). I see a couple of options - what's the best way to do this?

1. Install OS X on the drive taking up all the space and then use Boot Camp to create the Windows partition.

2. Format the drive with Disk Utility and making NTFS and HFS+ partitions and MBR. OS X doesn't like running off of MBR, but I believe I read there is a way to make it work.

3. Format the drive with Disk Utility and make NTFS and HFS+ partitions using GUID. Might have problems getting Windows to work.

So which one should I choose?

#1 Bootcamp doesn't work on hacks.
#2 You can do MBR, but doing so is a pain. Better to go GPT with a hybrid MBR.
#3 Bingo!

Follow the guide I pointed you to, but make an MS-DOS partition for Windows. It is easier if you install Windows first, but you can do it either way. When in the Windows installer, format the partition set aside for Windows to NTFS and install Windows there. If you choose to install OS X first, you will have to re-install Chimera later as Windows will overwrite the stage0 boot loader part of Chimera.

You could also read the article on my blog, which contains a method for quad-boot Win7/Win8/Lion/Ubuntu. It is broken in sections, so you can just not follow the sections that don't apply to what you want.

Thanks. That's very helpful.

I received my 4730s and tried to set up Mountain Lion. Partitioned the SSD drive on my Mac before installing it into the laptop. Used UniBeast and Mountain Lion to create a Unibeast USB drive. When I installed it, it freezes at the Apple screen (with a circle and slash). I entered boot flags PCIRootUID=0 -v -x and it still hangs. This time, I can see that it hangs on "Still Waiting for Root Device".

To be clear, it's hanging on the initial installation. I can't even get ML installed. If I were able to install it and this happened when booting from the new drive, I'd use HP Probook Installer, but I can't get that far.

How do I get past that?

Thanks.

I received my 4730s and tried to set up Mountain Lion. Partitioned the SSD drive on my Mac before installing it into the laptop. Used UniBeast and Mountain Lion to create a Unibeast USB drive. When I installed it, it freezes at the Apple screen (with a circle and slash). I entered boot flags PCIRootUID=0 -v -x and it still hangs. This time, I can see that it hangs on "Still Waiting for Root Device".

How do I get past that?

Thanks.

Sounds like the ACHI issue. See this guide (which covers the 4x30 install process):
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/77057-guide-installing-mountain-lion-hp-probook.html

Step 15 covers AHCI patch.

Step 15 is a post-installation step - you need to first install ML and then launch the HP Probook installer. I can't get that far - my system won't even install the software. Heck, I can't even get to Disk Utility.

Step 15 is a post-installation step - you need to first install ML and then launch the HP Probook installer. I can't get that far - my system won't even install the software. Heck, I can't even get to Disk Utility.

OK, I think I misunderstood when you said "When I installed it..."

Make sure you put your Unibeast USB flash drive into a non-USB3 port (ie. a USB2 only).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back