Contribute
Register

HP Probook 4540s.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello and congratulations, everybody does a great job solving compatibility issues. I have read the whole thread and I did not find a answer for my question. Can I make a dual boot using Mountain Lion and Windows 7 for 4740s Probook? I know that wlan is not working in Mountain Lion 10.8.2, but wired network is working with 1000Mbps?Thanks.

All – particularly zoltankr (same config as me?), RehabMan (2310m), I have been through all the entries on this forum and you appear to have dealt with most of the issues. What is missing, however, is a simple line-by-line account of “how to do it” and a single source for the various files (kexts, DSDT, SSDT). Also, the 4x40s is complicated in the number of variants and the potential for a Sandy Bridge CPU with an Ivy Bridge board. I am also conscious that the DSDT needs to be built on a system level, taking into account (for example) of memory expansion from the standard 4 GB.

My PC is a 4540s, with the latest ROM (F.31), model B6M75EA#ABU. This is an i5 2450m (like zoltankr’s, but potentially with subtle differences as I think the model number is different).

I think you'd be best off paying attention to what zoltankr is doing since your hardware config is perhaps identical. Definitely agree that a good summary/guide is missing for the 4x40s series. Maybe you can be the one to contribute... at least for a Sandy equipped 4x40s.

I have collected all the kext and other files from this forum and related forums and tried to ensure they are matched to my system, are harmonious with other extensions and are the most recent. Before I embark on an install, it would be really helpful if one of you experts could kindly deal with the following question (which, if your time/inclination is limited, #1 is the most pressing). I think your answers will be useful to others in my situation.

1. My DSDT.bin (binary) is attached (note it is labelled as .dsl due to its size and the upload limit), obtained with ”Read-Write Everything” under Windows (see https://github.com/RehabMan/HP-ProBook-4x30s-DSDT-Patch/wiki/How-to-patch-your-DSDT; I could not find where DSDTSE-for-Windows.zip put the extracted DSDT). Could one of you kindly send me a tailored ML version for by 4540s? I attach this because from what I have read, a well-constructed DSDT is key to a stable system and I believe that zoltankr has a system identical or close to mine.

I think you can get close if you follow the instructions for patching using MaciASL, using the current 4x30s patches. See: http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook/83573-patching-your-dsdt-probook-4x30s-using-maciasl.html

From that point it is a matter of seeing what doesn't work, reading posts on the 4x40s threads and fixing the DSDT patches as appropriate.

2. Are there any kexts or other actions I should use from the Probook v6 installer, or is this essentially irrelevant to the 4x40s?

You should be able to use almost everything from the Probook installer (except DSDT of course). Especially because your CPU is Sandy Bridge.

3. How does one go about using the 06 Battery.txt for the 4530s on the 4540s?

It applies directly to the 4x40s, no need for changes.

4. As you probably know, the Probooks come with 4 partitions, I have shrunk the largest (Windows) one by 60 GB to accommodate OSX. I hope to be able to create a GPT partition in the empty space. Can I do this or will I need to shuffle everything up (i.e. move the HP_TOOLS G: volume into the empty space, and then create the GPT partition at the end of the disk)? I want to keep my Windows and dual boot (and use Parallels).

Do yourself a favor and just wipe the drive completely. Work on getting OS X working, and later re-install Windows fresh. There is no sense in preserving the crapware infested installation of Windows that HP provides.

5. Will I encounter the boot0 (advanced format) problem with my standard 750 GB drive?

You won't know until you try or look up the specs for your HDD. Some 750GB drives are AF, some aren't.

6. I have set the BIOS as hybrid, I could have left it as is, or changed it to native EFI. What would be best?

So far, UEFI on the Probooks is not useful. In theory it could be used with Clover, but so far all experiments with Clover and the Probook have shown problems/compatibility issues with the HFSPLUS.EFI driver for HFS+ volumes.

7. If and when I upgrade my memory, how would I go about increasing the DSDT (specifics rather than generalities, please)?

You just re-extract/re-patch your DSDT.

8. Would I be advised to create a SSDT?

Since you have Sandy Bridge CPU, just use the appropriate SSDT from the Probook Installer.

9. Please, if you have time attach a ZIP with the latest set of kexts and ideally tailored DSDT as above.

For DSDT, you need to patch your own. Results are not good if you use one tailored to another machine. And most, if not all the kexts from the Probook installer are applicable to your machine.

10. If you have time, a short (1/2 page) line by line account of what to do to install, given we are now close to getting a fully working 4540s would be really useful. I know it is not finished (I have Belkin BT and Wifi USB dongles on order, for example), but I get the impression apart from some sleep, BT and Wifi issues, we are almost there. It’s just from the point of view of a newbie (and there are many newbies put off by the lack of a coherent guide), it’s hard to take the plunge without a bit of hand-holding, even if like me they have done a lot of research and reading. If the guide included the posting number/date for recommended kexts, this would be helpful to others in their system build.

Note I have looked at the HP ProBook 4530s [Working File] forum but this deals with a 2310m and has not been updated for a long time. All I can offer is I will do a detailed guide if I can get this to work.

I think you're just going to have to work through the issues yourself. Try to filter information from the various 4x40s threads to posts that are applicable to your machine (ie. pay attention to whether the post pertains to Sandy vs. Ivy CPU).

Sorry, a final thought.

11. Would it be worth swapping out the 2450M processor for a 3210M (apologies for previously calling this a 2310M in error), or is this unnecessary. I have read the post (http://www.tonymacx86.com/150-enabl...therboards-hd-4000-6-series-motherboards.html) on the mismatch between the new (Ivy Bridge) board and the old (Sandy Bridge 2450M) processor and it is unclear whether anyone hadeveloped an automated way of dealing with it. Ideally, for newbies like me the method would be simple or done already, rather than manually creating kexts.

While you could certainly do that, I don't think it makes things easier. For one, SSDT/power management is not completely sorted out on Ivy.

@RehabMan, it is possible to dual boot a Probook 4740s using the turorial from your blog? Thank you.

Attachments

• gptsync-ubuntu12_10.zip
    9.2 KB · Views: 65
RehabMan and Zoltankr, thank you for your kind help. It really is appreciated. On this and another thread I have come across a potential collaborator (Mad_Sunday) who will like me be a newbie to Hackintosh installs and have similar models. He has a 3210M and I a 2450M, and also different wifi/BT cards at present but otherwise things are the same.

Can I please address the various points you have been kind enough to answer on (numbering as before)?

1. Thanks. Understood. It needs me to get a ML up and running first, so I may need a little handshaking until then. My biggest concern is what happens if the ML locks up, gives a KP or other fault which means everything I have bult up to then becomes inacessible. Is there a simple backdoor through MultiBeats, iBoot or other tool in this eventuality which means I don't have to start again from scratch?

4. I'll start with the system as is and see how I get on. It may need to go in view of #5. I didn't want to start from scratch as I have upgraded to W8. I guess my question can be more simply put. Will I need a 200 MB EFI partition and GPT, and will this smash my existing W8 (not just the BootLoader)?

8. I can run a DSDT Editor on W8, this will enable me to get the speed states (SSDT). Will this be the same as the Probook installr or different?

9. This is particularly aimed at Zoltankr (with the 2450M) but also at RehabMan (2310M). It would be really helpful if you could look at the DSDT I submitted, check whether it is the same as your base DSDT (Zoltankr), and then could you each supply a zipped set of your optimized kexts and DSDT's to date. If you could do this, it would be a good starting point for Mad_Sunday (2310M) and I (2450M) to begin our efforts, knowledgeable that the patching and kexts are the best start, rather from scratch. If you can't/won't do this, a few brief lines as to what you would have/or have applied would be really useful so Mad_Sunday and I do not reinvent wheels. I appreciate, RehabMan, you have already given your view on this at #2, but I note you have been very helpful to others in the past (I say this not to coerce you, simply to state you are very knowledgeable and what seems easy to you is not to me [yet/probably never].

11. Thanks, I will save my money at least for now.

12. Assuming #9 is met with a negative reponse, a summary of the DSDT and kexts I have come across that might be useful to date are:

HP Probook 4540s Working File, 20120921, RehabMan-Battery-2012-1101.zip
HP Probook 4540s Working File, 20120921, org.chameleon.Boot.plist ) do these vary between
HP Probook 4540s Working File, 20120921, smbios.plist ) i5-2450M & i5-3210M?
HP Probook 4540s Working File, 20120922, VoodooHDA.kext.zip
HP Probook 4540s Working File, 20120922, 4540s.zip file containing extensions:
ACPISensors.kext
AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
ApplePS2Controller.kext
AppleRTC.kext
EvOreboot.kext
IntelCPUMonitor.kext
IOAHCIFamily.kext
IOUSBFamily.kext
IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext
[Only those not listed below are included]
This file also contains DSDT, SSDT and org.chameleon.Boot.plist and smbios.plist BUT THIS IS FOR AN i5-3210M.

This forum:
20121204, RehabMan-Voodoo-2012-1129.zip (contains VoodooPS2Controller.kext)
20121213, dsdt_4540s_zoltankr_fixed.zip - the latest DSDT I have for an i5-2450s
20130105, 4540s_sandybridge.zip - again from zoltankr, contains numerous kexts, does this remove the need for the set of kexts in the Working File forum?
20130117, AppleHDA.kext.zip

The probem for Mad_Sunday, I and others are these are all over the place, and it is difficult to know which are critical to implement or have just been applied indescriminately. Key question: does this cover all the requirements, or does the ProBook installer imply yet more kexts are needed?

Once I have your replies, RehabMan and Zoltankr, I will move on to a build and for the benefit of other newbies as I go through it I will make sure that it is written into a comprehensive guide.

Thank you for your time, help and encouragement, it is most appreciated.

Mad_Sunday, it strikes me tha tyou and I are in the same boat... We wish to try to implement OSX with the least pain ina dual boot configuration, which ideally means keeping W7/W8 as is, making room for OSX and just doing the OSX side.

However, some questions arise:

a. What is the the best way to backup so we can use the recovery sofwtware whenever needed (I know we can make disk images). In other words, a simple ghosting will not allow restore, particualrly of the recovery partition, once we have made room for ML.

b. If any one can comment on the potential to deal with the non-4k Advanced Format, EFI and GPT requirements of OSX without starting from scratch, that would be helpful.

c. Out of ignorance, will free area at the end of a physical disk be capable of being formatted as GPT or does the GPT format apply to the whole disk. In other words, can the disk by hybrid GPT/OSX and yet Windows still be happy? On this subject, there is an interesting article on coversion of disks supposedly retaining Windows data, at http://www.tipsandtutorials.net/gdisk-a-useful-tool-hard-disk.html, which should preserve data (and convert fully to GPT).

Do you have a view or anyone else have a comment?

Mad_Sunday, it strikes me tha tyou and I are in the same boat... We wish to try to implement OSX with the least pain ina dual boot configuration, which ideally means keeping W7/W8 as is, making room for OSX and just doing the OSX side.

However, some questions arise:

a. What is the the best way to backup so we can use the recovery sofwtware whenever needed (I know we can make disk images). In other words, a simple ghosting will not allow restore, particualrly of the recovery partition, once we have made room for ML.

b. If any one can comment on the potential to deal with the non-4k Advanced Format, EFI and GPT requirements of OSX without starting from scratch, that would be helpful.

c. Out of ignorance, will free area at the end of a physical disk be capable of being formatted as GPT or does the GPT format apply to the whole disk. In other words, can the disk by hybrid GPT/OSX and yet Windows still be happy? On this subject, there is an interesting article on coversion of disks supposedly retaining Windows data, at http://www.tipsandtutorials.net/gdisk-a-useful-tool-hard-disk.html, which should preserve data (and convert fully to GPT).

Do you have a view or anyone else have a comment?
It's not worth it.
Windows and OS X don't play nice when to comes to partitioning tools. They have it's own limitations and for some tasks like creating HFS+ partition there is no replacements for "Disk Utility" Based how it see Windows, it can keep pure GPT or make it hybrid, it will add 128MB extra space, it may create extra EFI System Partition and alter existing partition record. Some of it can be avoided by using powerful Linux gdisk to manipulate partition types or GPT record. And one wrong command wipes it all (happened to me)

It's better to follow Rehabman's tutorial and install clean Windows 7/8 without HP crapware.
http://racerrehabman.wordpress.com/

If you just want to experiment, remove existing and get another hard drive.

Thanks, really appreciate the time you have put aside to reply.

I will try to backup the Recovery partition onto another drive, in the hppe this can be retained as a source for reinstalling the bloatware (once and Windows are reinstalled). Some of it is useful! Does anyone know if cloning the volume that holds Windows, once it is suitably shrunk to leav space for OSX, could be cloned back again and - more importantly - be usable (in other words, informing Windows that the logical volume has moved in the new partition structure)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back