Graphics
Intel HD3000
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello people .. I am finally able to purchase a new laptop and I am thinking about getting a probook 4530s so I could possibly run OSX on it.

I have found a good deal one for about 600 euros, and its the i5 one with the hd 3000 graphics card, product code LY477EA .

According to hp website http://www8.hp.com/it/it/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=5212023 the LY477EA is packed with a combo Ralink 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi e Bluetooth 3.0 + HS module and a Realtek Ethernet (10/100/1000) .

Will both wifi and ethernet work? I don't really care about the bluetooth, never used it in my whole life... I just want to make sure that at least wireless its going to work.

Thanks

You should read the ProBook sections of the forum. (Depending on what OSX version you're planning to run: Installation under SL, Lion or ML laptop support- then ProBook section at the top.

Typing this reply on a ProBook 4530s running Lion perfectly. Everything worked out of box when I set it up, except for wifi/BT as I had an unsupported Realtek card. I replaced it with a working card and all was well. Ethernet was no problem, it worked out of box.

The model you're looking at may need a wifi replacement as well. Some ship with the right card for OSX (Atheros) and others don't. If you get one with unsupported wifi/BT (they are both on the same card) then you'll need to replace it with an HP-supported Atheros model. Cards not HP-supported will be rejected by the ProBook's BIOS. Again, read the ProBook forums for details on this. Luckily, the cards are around $12 US- from eBay- probably a similar price range in Europe.

I was actually thinking of runing mountain lion but in the case something isn't yet compatible I can run lion instead, it's not a big deal.

By replacing the combo wireless bt module wouldn't I void the warranty?

Can the module be replaced from the user without compromising the warranty?

Otherwise I think I will rather go with a nano usb wifi dongle, a compatible one. How much would it affect on battery life? Perhaps is there a way I could disable the combo module?

Thanks

Can the module be replaced from the user without compromising the warranty?

Otherwise I think I will rather go with a nano usb wifi dongle, a compatible one. How much would it affect on battery life? Perhaps is there a way I could disable the combo module?

Thanks
It won't harm the warranty to replace the wifi chip. It's virtually the same procedure as installing RAM if you've ever done that. You remove the back cover of the laptop, find the wifi card slot, remove the black and white wires from the chip, remove two screws, remove and replace card, reattach the wires. It's meant to be a user-serviceable procedure, doesn't affect warranty at all. And like I said before, you can only use an HP-certified chip that the BIOS won't reject, so it's a part that will either come with the ProBook, or you'll replace with a genuine part.

Card looks similar to a RAM chip:
$(KGrHqV,!jME8E7)9tUeBPPejum6cg~~60_35.JPG

slot looks similar to this:
2bd78d126a.jpg

Again, read ProBook forum before proceeding.

It won't harm the warranty to replace the wifi chip. It's virtually the same procedure as installing RAM if you've ever done that. You remove the back cover of the laptop, find the wifi card slot, remove the black and white wires from the chip, remove two screws, remove and replace card, reattach the wires. It's meant to be a user-serviceable procedure, doesn't affect warranty at all. And like I said before, you can only use an HP-certified chip that the BIOS won't reject, so it's a part that will either come with the ProBook, or you'll replace with a genuine part.

Card looks similar to a RAM chip:
$(KGrHqV,!jME8E7)9tUeBPPejum6cg~~60_35.JPG

slot looks similar to this:
2bd78d126a.jpg

Again, read ProBook forum before proceeding.

Oh really? Thats wonderful thank you.. And yes I am keeping an eye on the 4530s section but its just that I have posted this here and I didnt want to make a further thread to flood the forum.

I have one other question and than I will proceed buying it. What is really scaring me so far is the low res that it has got. I had a sony vaio till yesterday with same res 1336x768 and colours were washed out, the display panel itself was really bad.

How would you rate the display quality on the probook 4530s ? How's colours and brightness ?
I have read somewhere that colours are kinda poor as well..

Thanks

Display quality is very subjective. It really depends on what you're used to, and what you expect from a laptop.

The ProBook is DEFINITELY nowhere near the quality of an actual MacBook. People have to know that, and really just want the ProBook because it's inexpensive compared to a MacBook. For example, I could buy 5 ProBooks for the $360 I got mine for to ONE 15" MacBook Pro. But of course the MacBook Pro is much better quality, and the screen is far, far superior.

I find the image quality of the ProBook to be very good. Color accuracy? I really don't know, as I don't do any color-accurate work with mine. If I were a graphic designer, photographer, color-corrector or other pro that needed a laptop for absolute color-accurate work, I would NOT get a ProBook vs. a MacBook. That said, I don't have any problem with the colors on mine, but then, I'm not comparing them to anything else.

Brightness, I find it be perfect.

The screen res is a little low at 1336x768, but this hasn't yet been in anyway a hindrance to me. I edit with Final Cut Pro on my ProBook every day as part of my work, and when I first installed it, the installer gave a warning about the 1336x768 resolution being less than optimal for FCP- but ever since I've had not a single problem working with FCP on this.

A bonus is that it's actually possible to upgrade the screen to 1600 x 900 and even 1920 x 1080, and either in gloss or matte. Of course this is a big procedure, and probably warrantee-killing.

If it's possible, you should go look at a ProBook before buying and see if it's to your liking. Personally, I think it's an excellent laptop all around for the price. It's obviously not going to fare so well compared with $1700 laptops though.

Dear zaptoons,

Your video of the 4530s on youtube is amazing!!! Well done!!!

A quick question please..

I ordered an 4530s, but unfortunately, I can't check which wifi card it have. Can you suggest me please a specific model to buy if I will need to replace it?

The Atheros AR5B195 AR3011 WiFi WLAN Bluetooth Combo Half Mini PCI-E Card is ok? Or it exist something even better?

Thank you in advance!

dear zaptoons, I've been reading your posts and thanks for all the help you did for everybody :)

please, if you can help me since I don't know nothing about hackintosh.. my old macbook pro is gone and next week I need to continue my work on one documentary (all material is in hd).. I'm working as profesional editor, fcp, af..., and I really need a new laptop asap... I've tried to find the probook 4530s with the specs that you own but no luck.. there is one store, prices are ok, but there are so much models that I don't know witch one to take. please, I don't have nobody to ask, if you can help me choose one of them.. thank you sooooo much :)

HP PROBOOK 4530s A1D13EA

Intel Core i5-2430M
2.4 GHz
Chipset:Intel HM65 Express
15.6” LED HD anti-glare 1366x768
4 GB DDR3
640 GB/5400 rpm
DVD+/-RW SuperMulti DL Drive
AMD Radeon HD 6490M 1GB
SRS Premium sound
camera: yes
network:10/100/1000WLAN:802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth:yes

HP PROBOOK 4530s QJ763AV-TC2

Core i5-2450M
2.10 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache
8 GB DDR3
750 GB/5400 rpm
AMD Radeon HD 6490M 1GB
High Definition Audio support

HP PROBOOK 4530s QJ763AV-TC1

Core i5-2450M
2.10 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache
4 GB DDR3
750 GB/5400 rpm
AMD Radeon HD 6490M 1GB

HP PROBOOK 4530s A6E22EA

Core i5-2450M
2.10 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache
15.6” LED HD anti-glare 1366x768V
4 GB DDR3
640 GB/5400 rpm
AMD Radeon HD 6490M 1GB

HP PROBOOK 4530s LW843EA

Core i5-2430M 2.40 GHz
3 MB L3 cache
4 GB DDR3
640 GB /5400 rpm
AMD Radeon HD 6490M 1G
SuSE Linux

HP PROBOOK 4530s A1D15EA

15.6in LEd HD anti-glare 1366x768
Core i3-2330M 2.20 GHz
3 MB L3 cache
4GB DDR3
640 GB (5400RPM)
AMD Radeon HD 6490M 1GB, SuSE Linux

I was thinking to buy extra ssd hard drive, can you recommend witch one?
Thank you so, so much for your time to read this and your opinion :)

if you don't really need a laptop you shoud consider a desktop build,
you get better specs for the same price..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back