Contribute
Register

HP Probook 450 G1 - OSX Mavericks Installation Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

Very happy with my triple boot 450 g1 (10.9.1, win8.1, ubuntu14.04) It's taken a lot of work, but well worth it (quirks and all)

Do I upgrade to 10.9.2 ? (concerned i might update by mistake and break everything)

If so what's the latest procedure?

thanks

What bootloader are you using?

Chameleon

So you have patched mach_kernel on disk. Kernel is updated in 10.9.2, so you'll have to repatch it. That will be your major boot blocking issue post-update.

Other than that just patching AppleHDA (assume you used the ProBook Installer for that) as it is probably updated (it has been a while, so can't remember).

You might wait until 10.9.3 (unless you want practice) since it probably won't be long...

Waiting for 10.9.3 sounds like a plan

thanks for the info :)

Waiting for 10.9.3 sounds like a plan

thanks for the info :)

It's really a pain for Chameleon, especially Haswell laptops. Everything is smoother if you use Clover though (nothing to do).

It's really a pain for Chameleon, especially Haswell laptops. Everything is smoother if you use Clover though (nothing to do).

Nothing to do if config.plist is setup correctly and there are no patches "on disk."

Simply installing Clover instead is not enough... Just clarifying.

I've been running a 450 G1 for a few months now and noticed a few quirks and was wondering if anybody else is experiencing them too or have any ideas how to resolve them?

My system: OSX 10.9.2 w/ Clover R2513 using AppleHDA on the fly patching for audio and All DSDT patches per this guide.

1) Anytime I wake from sleep the volume control always reverts back to 100% on the slider. However, the actual volume is still whatever volume it was set to when I put the machine to sleep. If I had it set really low sometimes I don't seem to get any audio until I pull the slider down and then push it back up to 100%. Minor annoyance but would be nice to resolve.

2) Sleep instability.
A) If i close the lid to put my machine to sleep there is a good chance (probably about 33%) the machine doesn't actually sleep. Instead the display turns off and won't come back on. I know the machine responding because I can ping it and adjust the volume with hotkeys to hear it beep. I can't turn the display back on by adjusting the brightness so I just power down. I recently enabled the SSH so next time it happens I can attempt to remotely reboot to so I can prevent potential data lose. Does anybody know a command line method to force the display back on? It would be nice if I could just close the lid to put it to sleep but its far too unstable the way it is now.

B) If I manually put it to sleep usually works but again there is a rare chance (maybe 5-10%) that it instantly wakes and if I try putting it to sleep again just keeps waking up. I've noticed that if i unplug the AC power and plug it back in usually this corrects the issue and it will sleep properly. Any ideas?

Also, it takes like 15 seconds to actually go to sleep where Windows is pretty much instant. I believe I read this is actually a known bug in Mavericks for all Apple machines. Is this true? If so any idea when it could be resolved?

3) HDMI output doesn't work. When I plug in a cable the display goes off and the whole system freezes. Is this the same behavior for everybody? Has anybody made progress into solving this and possibility getting HDMI audio working too?

I've been running a 450 G1 for a few months now and noticed a few quirks and was wondering if anybody else is experiencing them too or have any ideas how to resolve them?

My system: OSX 10.9.2 w/ Clover R2513 using AppleHDA on the fly patching for audio and All DSDT patches per this guide.

1) Anytime I wake from sleep the volume control always reverts back to 100% on the slider. However, the actual volume is still whatever volume it was set to when I put the machine to sleep. If I had it set really low sometimes I don't seem to get any audio until I pull the slider down and then push it back up to 100%. Minor annoyance but would be nice to resolve.

2) Sleep instability.
A) If i close the lid to put my machine to sleep there is a good chance (probably about 33%) the machine doesn't actually sleep. Instead the display turns off and won't come back on. I know the machine responding because I can ping it and adjust the volume with hotkeys to hear it beep. I can't turn the display back on by adjusting the brightness so I just power down. I recently enabled the SSH so next time it happens I can attempt to remotely reboot to so I can prevent potential data lose. Does anybody know a command line method to force the display back on? It would be nice if I could just close the lid to put it to sleep but its far too unstable the way it is now.

B) If I manually put it to sleep usually works but again there is a rare chance (maybe 5-10%) that it instantly wakes and if I try putting it to sleep again just keeps waking up. I've noticed that if i unplug the AC power and plug it back in usually this corrects the issue and it will sleep properly. Any ideas?

Also, it takes like 15 seconds to actually go to sleep where Windows is pretty much instant. I believe I read this is actually a known bug in Mavericks for all Apple machines. Is this true? If so any idea when it could be resolved?

3) HDMI output doesn't work. When I plug in a cable the display goes off and the whole system freezes. Is this the same behavior for everybody? Has anybody made progress into solving this and possibility getting HDMI audio working too?

All of above could be DSDT/SSDT issues. Perhaps an SSDT you're dropping is required. If you post your native files (Clover F4 dump) and ioreg, I'll look.

Have you tried alternate framebuffer 0xa260005?

I cannot predict the future (surprise! nobody can). The delay for sleep in Mavericks appears to be intentional, not a bug.

Hi guys, first of all sorry for my english, i am Slovak and i study English for few years.
My question is: when i have my 1 TB disc divided to 3 partitions. First for windows, second for data and last 260GB is empty because i want to install on this disc OS X Mavericks. So the question. When i install os x on the last disc using unibeast and i format it to Mac OS journaled. Can i after installation Mac run on startup Windows or Mac ? Or only mac ? I don't want to lose windows for now. My laptop is HP Probook 450 G1 but i have an Intel Core i5 processor. Thanks for reply :)

Hi guys, first of all sorry for my english, i am Slovak and i study English for few years.
My question is: when i have my 1 TB disc divided to 3 partitions. First for windows, second for data and last 260GB is empty because i want to install on this disc OS X Mavericks. So the question. When i install os x on the last disc using unibeast and i format it to Mac OS journaled. Can i after installation Mac run on startup Windows or Mac ? Or only mac ? I don't want to lose windows for now. My laptop is HP Probook 450 G1 but i have a Intel Core i5 processor. Thanks for reply :)

All partitioning should be done in OS X Disk Utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back